Ethernet / Network help

FIXED
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Ethernet / Network help

Hi @jjjamie 

It's not clear to me what it is.

Fancy taking the front cover off!? If its coax cable then for sure we know it not the wiring for the phone and network connections but the TV distribution amp. The other option is to turn the left switch off and see if you loose tv signal. This is assuming you use the tv aerial distribution panel as feature in you first pictures or in other parts of your house.

Can you see where the right on/off switch goes to?

Dan.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

That looks like some sort of power distribution system.
A network or ethernet switch would look like the link below.
To be honest I would expect the previous occupant would have taken it wirh them.
But .... any other cupboards? The network/ethernet sockets would be there as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG108S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP6ZLSM/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?d...
jjjamie
Dabbler

@Bogbody 

Yes I thought it might be, it's connected to the temperature dial in the same room. 

I haven't seen an ethernet switch anywhere. Do I need to buy a switch and install it next to the router, then feed into the ethernet sockets shown in this photo in this post?

There is no other patch panel as far as I can see. It's a small flat, 4 rooms, so I don't think I'm missing anything.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jjjamie 

You do not need a switch the Hub One has one built in, the yellow ports unless you've used them all.

You may be lucky and the RJ45 sockets are cabled to each other. Without knowing the cabling diagram for your flats its hard to predict. Have you considered using powerline adapters? These use your mains circuit to transport ethernet signals, some kits come with a WiFi extender as well. See TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT (WiFi extender) and TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT

Dan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You may be lucky and the RJ45 sockets are cabled to each other. With knowing the cabling diagram for your flats its hard to predict. Have you considered using powerline adapters?

From the OP's photos, there's definitely ethernet (4 pair twisted) cabling to the RJ45 socket, it's just a matter of finding where the wiring goes...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jjjamie
Dabbler

Yes I've used powerline before, they are fine, but given I have a wired CAT5e in the same room, I'd quite like to get that running (better speeds, doesn't take up a socket, don't need to buy excess gear etc.)

I've tried connecting the Hub directly into the neighboring sockets, nothing seems to happen. 

If I call an engineer out will that help?

I don't know how to find out where the wiring goes without ripping the wall down! 

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The other end of the cables should be connected to two similar network sockets somewhere.
Loft? Bedroom wardrobe? Under the stairs?
Part of the heating controls? i.e. near the central heating boiler???
Somewhere near the phone socket?
Have a realy good look around --- could you ask the landlord/previous owner???
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If I call an engineer out will that help?

Unless you know a friendly network engineer, then no. A BT engineer would be useless!.

Get a network tester like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binchil-Network-Ethernet-Battery-Included/dp/B08SQYNW45/ref=sr_1_9?adgrpid=...

Plus the remote unit into one of the sockets in the living room and then take the main unit and plug it into each of the other network sockets you can find, until you find one that works...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jjjamie
Dabbler

@MisterW @Dan_the_Van @Bogbody 

The network tester is here, there is a connection between the two sockets on the left in this photo and the bedroom and the office. The office connection seems to be missing several of the 8 pins, which is annoying, but not my primary concern for now.

Why am I not getting internet in my computer? I've connected the PC directly to the RJ45 in the office, the Hub is connected to both the master socket and has an ethernet cable running from it's rear to the appropriate RJ45... What's going on?

Thanks again for your help so far !

edit: am I doing something wrong software wise? Should Windows automatically connect like it does if I connect it directly into the Hub via ethernet cable? In my Network center the option for a PPPoE connection - is this what I need to use? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The office connection seems to be missing several of the 8 pins, 

thats not good , all 8 pins are connected at thebliving room end so it sounds like its not been connected properly. Have look at both sockets and check that the same colours got to the same pin numbers at each end

Windows should just conbect as though you were plugged into the hub. 

jjjamie
Dabbler

I have zero knowledge of wiring before this, but all seems to match:

Office RJ45.jpg

rj45.jpg

Lower image is the dual RJ45 in the Living room, the left hand RJ45 connects to the office. 

Any ideas? @MisterW 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

They do seem to be wired correctly but if the tester isn't showing all 8 pins connected then there's a problem somewhere. First things first, have you checked the patch cables with the tester?

jjjamie
Dabbler

Yes, one of the cables is perfect 8, the other only shows 4 of the 8

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sounds like you've got a patch cable with only 4 cores wired. I think you need to find 2 good patch cables.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I think you'll find that only two pairs (four wires) are required

1 and 2 are the transmit legs

ands

3 and 6 are the receive legs.

see here 

Dan.