cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epson SX235W Printer

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Epson SX235W Printer

Am trying to use an Epson printer that has a wi-fi link (at least, I understand it does), but because my pc uses XP, I have to connect by USB cable. That works okay, but I cannot figure out how to set things up so that my wife's laptop can use this printer via the wi-fi link.
Can my wife's laptop connect direct to the printer using wi-fi, or does she have to route her prints via my pc and then down the USB cable? If direct, how do I set up the my wife,s laptop and the printer? If via my pc, how do I set up my pc and the printer so that her laptop can print that way?
My wife's laptop can access the internet via my modem so her wireless link works, The Epson technical data is hopeless (either that, or I am)
Thanks for your help
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Epson SX235W Printer

Quote from: penneck
because my pc uses XP, I have to connect by USB cable.

No, that's not correct.  It doesn't matter what version of Windows you have.  If you have a WiFi printer and a computer connected to your router, either wirelessly or by Ethernet cable, you should be able to set yourself up to print to the printer.
I cannot figure out how to set things up so that my wife's laptop can use this printer via the wi-fi link.

Step 1 - connect the printer to your router as per http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/sx235_nwg/html/setpn_1.htm .  It looks as if only WPS set-up is supported http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/sx235_nwg/p_body/panel/wps_b/wpsmenu.htm so I hope your router supports WPS.
Step 2 - Install the printer on your (wife's) computer.  I imagine the easiest way is to run the software disc supplied with the printer and choose the wireless option.  But you could just go to Control Panel - Printers and add a network printer.  That would install printing but probably not the ability to scan to your computer.
Step 3 - You could install the printer as a wireless printer on your own computer the same way; if you wish
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

RR has put it nicely.... use the software cd.... however...
see my posting....  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107251.msg915785.html#msg915785
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks RR, but the Epson instructions say that you have to use the USB cable if you have XP.
I have looked at the bit about setting up WPS, and my printer seems to go through the flashing LED thing and ends with the green LED lit. If this sets up Wi-fi, I would have expected the printer to have been transmitting some kind of wireless signal that my wife's laptop would have picked up. After all, it can identify two signals (both with Sky-names) that I can only assume are my neighbours wireless systems, not my printer.
Why should the modem need to be able to cope with WPS? What is WPS?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

... I would have expected the printer to have been transmitting some kind of wireless signal that my wife's laptop would have picked up.

You might have expected that, but it is completely wrong!  At a pinch a few wireless printers could possibly establish an ad-hoc wireless connection directly to a computer but that is NOT what you are trying to do here.  A wireless printer is a network printer.  If you have worked in an office during or since the 1990s you will have encountered a network printer.  It's a printer that can be shared by all the computers on the network.  The printer connects to the router (which you are wrongly calling a modem).  It happens to do this via a wireless connection but that is by-the-by.  Your computers also connect to the router, either wired or wirelessly so they are all on the same network.  If the wireless light on the printer is green then I presume that indicates you have successfully connected it to your router.  So just follow steps 2 and 3 of my previous instructions.
If by any chance you really do have a modem and not the wireless router I imagine you have:
Get Plusnet to supply you with a free wireless router.
You will not get your printer to work wirelessly until you do.
WPS is a push-button system for establishing a wireless connection between a router and a device wherein the router divulges its own wireless pass key to the device.