cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of vista support

scootie
Grafter

Re: End of vista support

going to get the upgrade and try to do a clean install, dont want to risk any croupt files ect being transfered over.
@fox. i know how much you love linux all ready, can you please keep this thread on topic please and not turn it into a windows v linux debate
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@Asbo - How can you do a clean install if you've only paid for an upgrade?
I expect M$ will send you a pirate letter. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well apart from the curious login problem (see Win 7 thread) I had no other issues with doing the straight upgrade. I'm not sure that's anything to do with it either.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

The upgrade disc allows the option to clean install.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Hero

Licences (and licensing) are difficult.

scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
The upgrade disc allows the option to clean install.

this is true, i belive all you need is your old xp or vista os disk and your product key
@evil. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/upgrade . why would you assume an upgrade means you have to copy over the old os. your upgrading from a old os to there new one. as long as you have a valid pre W7 key then you are upgrading
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't correct - the old system of an install disk and a valid key doesn't work with Windows 7
The clean install option still starts from an installed and registered version of Vista or XP but you have the option of a clean install which wipes the old installation or an upgrade with Vista providing they are both 32 bit or 64 bit.
Of course you can do what I did which was a clean install without registering it then an upgrade install over it. I did this so I could retain a dual boot capability with Vista just in case.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Asbo
...why would you assume an upgrade means you have to copy over the old os...

If you don't replace a substantial portion of your old OS then the new and the old are the same.
Not exactly an "Upgrade". Smiley

severedsolo
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Didn't someone say XP is what W7 should have been Undecided
Maybe not ......but they should have Smiley

have you actually used Win 7? I have yet to meet a Windows 7 user who didnt like it, aside from those who are clinging on to a 10 year old dinosaur out of sheer bloody mindedness. Xp is showing its age... big time, it just refuses to die gracefully! admittedly Vista was... not the best OS (i cant say i found it terrible, but it certainly wasn't good) but then without Vista, Windows 7 would not be the fantastic OS it is.
scootie
Grafter

Of course you can do what I did which was a clean install without registering it then an upgrade install over it. I did this so I could retain a dual boot capability with Vista just in case.

yep i allready read about that option but all so saw alot of people reckoning they had done it with the old os disk, cheers for the info oldjim
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: severedsolo
have you actually used Win 7? I have yet to meet a Windows 7 user who didnt like it, aside from those who are clinging on to a 10 year old dinosaur out of sheer bloody mindedness.

You've found one Smiley
Both Win 7 and XP are equally disliked. Grin

Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Shows how good XP is, just got 8 updates on free support on that old product, pre Vista

Yes security updates only once a month on patch Tuesday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday.
And it explains more here on XP's end of life http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9070119/Windows_XP_Going_going_..._gone_ which shows,
XP timeline
June 30, 2008
PC manufacturers stop selling computers with XP installed.
Jan. 31, 2009
Microsoft stops selling XP altogether.
April 14, 2009
Mainstream support (free live support and warranty support) ends. Free maintenance is limited to security fixes
April 8, 2014
All support for XP ends.

Quote from: Asbo
come on then guys where did you pick up those bargin priced full or upgrade versions of W7 from?
any one hit any pitfulls using the upgrade version on a vista machine

I got Windows 7 Professional 64 bit as part of the Ultimate Steal program run by Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-uk/default.aspx and it cost me £38 roughly and that was with me ordering a backup DVD as well! And it's a Full Retail License version so a clean install could be done with it, I got it through my brother who is a student so he ordered it for me :), it nos costs £69.99 just for the upgrade version from the same website and you can find cheap versions of Windows 7 here http://www.software4students.co.uk/Windows_7-software.aspx ALL upgrade versions and you can choose from either Ultimate or Professional edition and you CAN install them without the need for having to enter any cdkey from a previous version of windows or having to put any cd/dvd in the drive, just start the install from within your existing Windows version whether it be XP or Vista and it WILL definitely let you install it to a clean partition with no problems whatsoever, because it's only an upgrade disk by name but it does have the FULL operating system on the disk ready to be installed, it doesn't have to overwrite/upgrade an existing version of Windows.
Oh and for the record you DON'T need to prove your a student to buy it from that software4students website either as it says this when you go to checkout "Students in any level of education and their family members are eligible." it also says,
Please note that you must be an Eligible User in order to install and run the Microsoft software products that you buy from us. If you are not eligible - for example, if you use the products in a commercial enterprise or business - you will be required by Microsoft to acquire a separate licence for that use. and it also says,
1. All School, College and University students and their family members are eligible!
2. No Student ID required for Microsoft Software: As an Official Microsoft Partner, our offers extend beyond .ac.uk email address holders so that any family member or guardian can afford to buy on behalf of a pupil or student. Student ID required for Adobe Products, learn more.
3. You receive Full Professional version software at an academic price for lifetime use at home only.

All you have to do is checkout, enter your card details and click purchase Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Moominfish Can i use this link you have gave to upgrade from windows 7 home premium to windows 7 professional?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Moominfish
Grafter

Which one the software4students one? If yes then as far as I know the answer is NO but if you start the Windows 7 Professional install from within your Windows 7 Home Premium you've already got installed IT might let you do it but I'm not going to say a definite yes because I don't know for sure, what I do know is you can install it on a fresh/clean/empty partition even if it's an upgrade version as I've done it myself for people that only have the upgrade version, as IT IS the FULL install on the disk NOT some cut back upgrade version that needs files from your previous installation.
EDIT: According to this http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/8900cf10-2ab1-41a9-8e40-fa45eddf82... you CAN do exactly what you've asked!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah it was the software4students one, Interesting, You have me thinking with that link Grin
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.