Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email & photograph

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Email & photograph

I want to send a photograph in the main body of an email, is it simply a matter of copying & pasting it into the email.
I do not want to send it as an attachment.
It would be in jpeg format but what is the recommended size for a decent photograph, I have the necessary software to alter the size.
I would be using Linux & firefox and it would be going to a hotmail address.
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
23 REPLIES 23
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: Email & photograph

Surprised no-one has picked this up.
As a rough, anything between 300 to 600 pixels? (Less or more height/width as required.)
Smaller is a bit difficult to see, larger means a greater file size.
Depends what you want to do with it at the other end. I presume just view on screen as you don't want to attach. You could make it bigger. If it looks alright at your end it'll probably look ok at the other end!
If its picked up on a mobile it should resize if necessary.
Waldo
Grafter

I'd guess any mail client / webmail service that allows composing email in HTML format would let you insert an image in the body of the email.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Check what size limits are on the receiving end, used to be a limit of 2mb but that was many years ago. Resize the pic to 800x600 or why to get the size down, since you are using FF I assume it will be sent via web mail? If so no idea probably just drop it on.
I use Thunderbird for email only.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the replies.
Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I just take the existing photograph and take 50% of the dimensions, locked to maintain aspect ratio.
This gives a photo of about 25% (in bytes) of the original.
Very easy to do with GIMP.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

All my photos are in Canon RAW format so they are fairly big, a bit of processing may make them even bigger and whilst converting to jpeg will reduce the size a further reduction to 25% might still leave them fairly large.
IanSn
Rising Star

in GIMP (or whatever you use) you can convert size by pixel or percent.
Convert by pixels to whatever size you need to fit on the screen. Keep ratio same tho! There's a button for that. Save as JPG.
Whatever happens the file size wont be too large.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If they are in raw then you would have to convert them to jpg/png anyway as no email client will display raw images.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

No way would copy and paste work when trying to get a photo direct into a e mail.
What did work was the following tip I picked up on the internet
Open the photograph (jpeg) in firefox then hit the print screen key go into gmail and the paste instruction works.
IanSn
Rising Star

Are you using webmail or an email client?
On Thunderbird you can drag and drop an actual file from the desktop into the 'write/compose' window. (You might have to make sure you've got the message as HTML first.)
I'm curious, initially, where did you copy from? Was it an open file in GIMP (or some other image viewer)? Did you make a selection/copy the image?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Opened the RAW file in photoshop, made a few minor adjustments and then resized it.
Saved to an external hard disk, rebooted into Linux, transferred the photo to the desktop, opened firefox, used the viewer in Linux, hit the print screen key, opened Gmail and then pasted the photo into the email.
I understand there are much quicker ways to do this if you just use Windows but I never use it to access the internet.
IanSn
Rising Star

Ah, I see.
Didn't quite get what you were trying to do.
I never use webmail, so I didn't know how you might go about it in that case!
Doesn't 'print screen' grab the whole screen, tho? That would be a very large image?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: gleneagles
Opened the RAW file in photoshop, made a few minor adjustments and then resized it.
Saved to an external hard disk, rebooted into Linux, transferred the photo to the desktop, opened firefox, used the viewer in Linux, hit the print screen key, opened Gmail and then pasted the photo into the email.
I understand there are much quicker ways to do this if you just use Windows but I never use it to access the internet.

Why not do it all in Linux - no need to mess around in Windows - and no need to send inferior screen shots.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

IanSn
Rising Star

Why not do it all in Linux - no need to mess around in Windows

Probably using Photoshop in Windows.