cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek 2860 - Direct traffic for *.netflix down WAN1 when using a VPN1 by default

dg555
Hooked

Draytek 2860 - Direct traffic for *.netflix down WAN1 when using a VPN1 by default

As the title suggests I'd like to understand how to route all traffic destined for *.netflix.com through WAN1.  The network setup is pretty simple so far with all traffic being routed down VPN by default so all devices in my network use the VPN out to my provider.

The reason for wanting to route specific calls to that URL is Netflix detects any VPN or proxy and refuses to work so separating that application out of the normal VPN routing is the only way to do it.

I've had a look around the manual but I can only find how to send traffic for particular IP ranges, not URLs, through another connection.

Any suggestions welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Draytek 2860 - Direct traffic for *.netflix down WAN1 when using a VPN1 by default

Hmm that's a tricky one!!!

Traffic gets routed by ip addresses, and its complicated for things like Netflix because they have so many content caches around the world with different ips. Not all caches have all content so you don't know what you are going to hit, but still probably the easiest way to do it to be honest.

Not quite what you were looking for but you might be about to use a nginx proxy to send http traffic to (so windows, iOS etc could work) and do some custom routing on it to send it via a different gateway (wan1). That all requires a server though to run it on...

Not aware of any way in any (consumer) router to route traffic by URL
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Draytek 2860 - Direct traffic for *.netflix down WAN1 when using a VPN1 by default

@dg555

I think I understand what you are trying to do. For some reason you use a VPN tunnel for all your internet traffic (perhaps from a location abroad to home) but you want to let Netflix traffic "break out" to the Internet locally rather than go with all your other traffic down the tunnel.

This isn't the "usual" way of doing this in that generally the VPN is to another known network and everything not for that range goes to the internet directly.

There is loads of support for Draytek products. Start at https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/vpn-setup (harmless registration needed) or alternatively contact their support.

@MrSilver it may or may not not be capable of supporting this requirement but the Draytek 28** series are a step up from a consumer router (really small business products).

I am the satisfied customer....