cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dongle for laptop broadband

geoffg1
Grafter

Dongle for laptop broadband

Is there any plan to introduce a dongle for Plusnet broadband so I can use my laptop anywhere? If not, can I access Plusnet via a 3 dongle?
Cheers
Geoff Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Dongle for laptop broadband

I'm afraid there's no plans for that, no. As for accessing Plusnet... well you'll be able to get to our website and log in to your member's centre fine, but it'll be done over the dongle's connection and all usage will count towards that, not your Plusnet account - not sure if that's what you meant?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Also with three they block all SMTP servers except their own. I have this issue with my iPad where I have to use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk instead of my own server details.
So you won't be able to send e-mails from a mail client without making changes, but you will with webmail.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am currently on a 3 MiFi  mobile router, a very long way from home.  I can use all the PN facilities, but I am using web mail to send the occasional e-mails, again no problem
I am using Thunderbird IMAP for e-mails and leaving on server
geoffg1
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.
We're going to Billing Aquadrome in July and would like to access the internet from my laptop. It seems the best way for us to go is to use a TMobile dongle as we're only going for a few days.
Geoff Smiley
Standard8

Quote from: Alex
Also with three they block all SMTP servers except their own. I have this issue with my iPad where I have to use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk instead of my own server details.
So you won't be able to send e-mails from a mail client without making changes, but you will with webmail.

That's possibly not quite true. Plus don't supply secure (SSL) smtp servers, only the unsecure (non-SSL) ones on port 25, that is what three blocks. I have a SSL based work one that works fine with three. Unfortunately plus don't seem to have realised the need for SSL based servers especially for those that want to check their email or send email whilst roaming (most US based hotels also block port 25).
Vip3r
Grafter

Plusnet do now have SMTP on port 587 (still no SSL  though)
See this post: Submission port 587 and relay.plus.net
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Alex
with three they block all SMTP servers except their own

That is not true !,
I have just been away on holiday and took my laptop and 'three' dongle for the first time, and didn't have to change the SMTP server away from my usual email provider's settings - it just worked the same as it does when I am at home on broadband.