Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devolo powerline wifi adaptor not working

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Devolo powerline wifi adaptor not working

@dave4jazz wrote:

The BT Hub 6 router on wifi is Upload 11.0 / Download 9.68 on Channel 6 standing a couple of metres from it.

So it’s pretty poor using the Smarthub. A few things to try:

1. Separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840. Try each band.

2. Have you got any electronic devices such as a TV or cordless phone next to the router? If so separate them. I have known a cordless VoIP phone kill WiFi.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

@dave4jazz  Not sure if you have answered this. If you connect a wired (ethernet) device to the WiFi plug - as I understand these devices they have an ethernet port as well as a WiFi access point - what sort of speeds do you get.

If that is low, then the problem is the speed of the powerline connection between the devolo devices. If that gives decent speeds then it's the WiFi access point. 

An answer to that question will eliminate one of the two variables.

Have you tried turning off the other powerline temporarily so that you only have a single powerline link to the WiFi repeater. I would also try swapping the PL adapter connected to the router.

Hope this helps.

dave4jazz
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

1. 5GHz band is switched off in the router. All my devices use the 2.4GHZ band.

2. There was a landline base station near the router but I've moved it several feet away but it didn't have any effect on wifi speeds.

dave4jazz
Dabbler

See the image of the devolo Cockpit at the start of this thread. The speed between the Conversatory (wifi) and Lounge (router) powerlines is very good.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dave4jazz
Dabbler

re: Linux - If you can't beat'em, join 'em 😀

dave4jazz
Dabbler

I've given up on the devolo wifi powerline adaptor and couldn't find the 12v power supply for my PlusNet Hub One to set it up as a repeater.

Question: why do BT and PlusNet fit these non-standard power sockets to their routers?

I went out and bought a TP-Link wifi range extender for £15.00. Set-up in less than a couple of minutes and seems to be doing the trick. Download and upload speeds, in the area I want, are greatly improved.

Thanks anyway to those that offered advice.