Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dchp failure Asus 86u

FIXED
stevenfish
Hooked

Dchp failure Asus 86u

On setting up my Asus 86u router it says no internet connection , internet light is red.

Am getting this , please contact your ISP provider to find root cause of dchp failure.

Can anyone help as spent hours trying to solve problem, I have attached screenshot.

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Dchp failure Asus 86u

@stevenfish Welcome to the forums. This is a router only. What is operating as the modem?

John
stevenfish
Hooked

Plusnet hub two operating as my modem , cheers

stevenfish
Hooked

Have looked up problem and what I've read is that my plusnet hub two is not assigning an IP adress to Asus router.

But still no clue how to solve issue?Huh

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@stevenfish  is your Hub 2 is in bridge mode ?

Am getting this , please contact your ISP provider to find root cause of dchp failure.

If so, then your wan connection on the router needs to be set for pppoe. It sounds like you've got it set to dhcp

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@MisterW gave a better answer.

John
stevenfish
Hooked

How do I find out if hub two is in bridge mode?? Think I have it set to pppoe

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@stevenfish - how are things cabled and what service do you have? FTTC (Fibre) or FTTP (Full Fibre)?

The Asus router will need configuring in PPPoE mode, using your Plusnet broadband username and password.

For FTTC, the Hub Two will need to be put into Bridge Mode and an ethernet cable connected from the WAN port of the Asus unit to one of LAN ports 1-3 on the Hub Two.

For FTTP, the Hub Two is not required and the cable can be run from the Asus WAN port directly to a LAN port on the Openreach ONT. 

Edit: the Bridge mode toggle on the Hub Two is found under Advanced Broadband Settings in the Hub Manager from memory.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stevenfish
Hooked

I will check now and let u know how I get on .

Many thanks 👍

stevenfish
Hooked

Think I am fttc as definitely not full fibre as my area still doesn't have fibre cables still old copper connection 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

How do I find out if hub two is in bridge mode?? 

for information,, when in bridge mode, the Hub light will show pink instead of blue

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevenfish
Hooked

Thanks Bob Pullen , I put router into bridge mode and cables as you said and problem solved!!!

Thanks again for spot on information bob 👍😁