Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data storage

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Data storage

Looking for advice.

I back up my data regularly onto a 1TB external hard disk which is now full.  It has a lot of history on it, and so I do not want to wipe it in order to make more room.  I would rather stick it in the loft in the expectation that an archeologist will come across it in 1,000 years and wonder what it is !

So, I need to buy something to replace it but no doubt technology has moved on.  I have been looking at 2 TB external hard disks for about £30.00, and wondered whether that is the way to go or whether there are more suitable data banks around.  I am no longer very tech savvy (I still remember the days of tape streamers - actually even tape recorder cassettes before that !)

Cloud storage is not a solution for me because I am rural, and upload speeds are slower than the horse and cart that comes up my lane each day.  And you cannot put it in the loft eventually !

Any suggestions gratefully received.

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Data storage

Depends how much you want to spend..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

If you're willing to spend a few pounds @shermans then a NAS is the answer, there are various offerings available from the affordable to "Are you serious!"

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the replies.  As a result I have just looked at NAS.  There are several on ebay advertised at about £50 for only 1 TB.  To be honest, I do not see it would offer anything more than what I am doing at present - an external 1TB hard disk.  It is purely for back-uo security storage, not for interactive use.

There are 2TB external hard disks advertised for about £30 which as far as I can see for my purposes do the same job - as long as they are reliable !  I suppose that is my question really.  I had wondered whether there was any new solid state technology which was reliable these days.  In 1,000 years timewhen soemone wants to check my car M.O.T. from last year, then solid state would be more likely to be able to be read than someone electro-mechanical.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

The advantage of the NAS @shermans is that you don't need to have it on your desk. You can put it anywhere (even in the loft) and access it from any device on your LAN. So, if you use more than one device you can get access to the files on it from any of them.

If you get a NAS with dual disks you can mirror them so one is a backup of the other offering you better resilience than a single disk USB unit as it is unlikely that both will fail at the exact same time.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Where are you getting these prices from?

1TB drive £40+

2 bay NAS - several hundred £ + cost of two (or three) identical NAS disks.

You can pay much more...

Don't forget the Gbit ethernet cabling to get up to 100MB/sec access rates.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

And if its critical type storage, do spread it around. Nothing worse than storing it in one place and having it wiped out by a fire. While I have my photos and other important docs stored online, I also have the same info backed up on 2 other drives in separate places. 

@VileReynard 2TB, Cheap as chips on Ebay etc. While I've used some of those for recording TV etc. For storage I like to pay a little more.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?