cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLNA Server not showing on Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DLNA Server not showing on Mac

Not to sure what the point of your post is @Browni, I know it works, as I've said already, and I have now had it working on Windows R2 2012, 7, 8, 10 and iPad so the issue is with the Mac. But from doing some searching I'm not the only one, so that's reassuring.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The only version you mentioned in this thread was 2012.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the problem is with mac though, so the windows version you tried it on is totally irrelevant.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, up to your post the only Windows version was R2 2012 and also VLC on the iPad, which is why I knew the server was working as it should. I did the other tests on Windows just to double check.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I tried to break VLC on Windows and couldn't!
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Could be something with Sierra? I've never upgraded farther than Mavericks so can't really check anything for you on that but @chenks76 is correct in saying that the DLNA share should appear automatically in the finder's sidebar.

Any chance you could try a different Mac OSX? (On another drive perhaps)
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

The share or rather the NAS does appear in Finder and when selected the shares appear as you can see below. But this has nothing to do with DLNA as that is a service so doesn’t need the shares to be mounted on the host.

Finder on Sierra

Mac’s don’t have any native DLNA support built in hence the need to use apps like VLC to play content. But you may be right in pointing the finger at the OS but as to the root cause, well I don’t know and as I can’t check other versions I am reliant on others to help with that.

I assume @RPMozley from your comment that you don’t have a DLNA server on your network? As if you did then a check using your OS would have been very helpful.

RPMozley
Pro

I can set something up to check but may take a spare day free to complete, not much time these days unfortunately. It won't be a NAS running DLNA but probably Kodi sharing what I've transferred.
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @RPMozley, I guess that wouldn't matter provided the application used was the 2.2.4 version of VLC just to see if it works on your version of OSX.

RPMozley
Pro

Sorry @Anonymous still not had time to check things for you but it's on my to do list. Wink

Note taken on VLC version.
That's RPM to you!!
RPMozley
Pro

Ok, tested things out today. In VLC 2.2.4 kodi UPnP share appears and takes many minutes to populate listings (and files appear in duplicate or even quadruplicate). Latest VLC shows nothing in the UPnP section.

Right-clicking the section shows Disable, so must be enabled then. If yours is saying Enable then it's disabled somehow.

Advice is to either use a different app (Kodi does ok) or if you still want to use VLC, maybe try trashing (binning) the VLC preference files and start afresh.
That's RPM to you!!
DaveyH
Champion

Why bother with DLNA/UPnP? Just use SMB/CIFS...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to do this @RPMozley, but I'm confused. You say the Kodi UPnP share appears taking time to populate with a reference to LVC 2.2.4. But then you say the latest VLC shows nothing. Can you provide a screen capture of what you have please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because it defeats the purpose of having a DLNA Server.

DaveyH
Champion

Yes but it would work...