cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLNA Server not showing on Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable

DLNA Server not showing on Mac

I’m running VLC v2.2.4 on my Mac (Sierra v10.12.4) and I have Media Server running on a Synology RS815+ (DSM v6.1.1) but I can’t see the DLNA service in the Local Network (UPnP) of the VLC interface! However, it can be seen by Windows clients on the Network.

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me please, as I have a massive ? above my head here.

35 REPLIES 35
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: DLNA Server not showing on Mac

forgetting VLC for the moment.
can the mac see the DLNA server on the network?

it should show up as a device in finder if it can

VLC will only see if it the mac can, and i think VLC is a red herring at the moment.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused here @chenks76, what exactly do you mean by the DLNA server? If you mean the physical device on which the Media Server software is running then yes, I can see it in Finder along with other devices.

chenks76
All Star

yes your synology is the DLNA server.
it should (if my memory serves me right) list a DLNA device as well too though, and not just the synology device.
does it do that?
Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case then No, listed under Shared (or Finder > Go > Network) are various PCs, the NAS and a Time Capsule, nothing else. I understand that the Mac doesn't have any native DLNA support so I wouldn't expect to see one hence the use of VLC.

chenks76
All Star

i haven't booted into OSX for a while on my macbook pro so my memory is fuzzy on it.
i might boot into Sierra later on and see if it see the DLNA on my network.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that would be appreciated.

chenks76
All Star

well i enabled DLNA on my plex server, and VLC has it listed

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 12.38.12.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that @chenks76 but mine isn't a Plex server, but it can be seen by Windows. So I'm assuming this is down to my Mac's configuration. Mmm...

chenks76
All Star

plex is just what i happened to have, but DLNA is DLNA.
saying that though, although i could see the DLNA listed, i couldn't actually do anything with it. but that may be more to do with plex than anything else.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've installed VLC on a Windows 2012 R2 Server and I can see this:

Windows VLC

I can't actually play anything due to the server's sound configuration but I assume it would work but there is still nothing showing on the Mac even though I've set the broadcast time to 30s!

I've no firewall on the Mac, so I'm at a loss as to what to look at or for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I’ve narrowed it down to the problem being my Mac but what that issue is I don’t have a clue!

Using VLC on my iPad I can play tracks from the NAS direct to my Azur-851N Network Streamer and I’m listening to Bob Dylan's Lay, Lady, Lay as I type this. But this doesn’t help me as I want all this be done from the Mac.

If anyone has any thoughts I’d appreciate them.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Is this any help?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry @Browni not really as it was that very link that made me choose VLC. As noted in the OP I’m using v2.2.4 of VLC so according to that article I should see the media list after some time (5 > 10 mins) but there’s nothing. The VLC installed on the R2 Server and the iPad are near instant at displaying the media list. But even after waiting over 15 minutes nothing appears.

If I ‘right click’ on the Universal Plug’n’Play entry I get a context menu appearing that says ‘Enable’ but even after selecting that nothing ever appears.

The plot thickens!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I installed the UWP version of VLC on my Windows Insider build of Windows 10 and even that picked up the DLNA servers on my network Smiley