Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Program from CD Rom to USB stick?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Copy Program from CD Rom to USB stick?

I have been using Microsoft Publisher 98 for years now, and I have loads of .doc files on this laptop .  I have the program on CD Rom, but initially had it on Floppy Disc... so have installed it many times over the years on quite a lot of machines....
Now I have a 10" laptop, that has no CD drive, is it possible to copy the CD Rom program over to USB and install it from that?
5 REPLIES 5
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Copy Program from CD Rom to USB stick?

Well best thing to do is try copying the whole contents of the CD-ROM onto the USB and see if it works. If not, come back for more options to try.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion..... Just done that... and although the "autorun" did not work.... by double clicking on th "Setup" file (application file) it did start to do the setup routine... SO all is ok.
computing50yrs
Grafter

Whenever I have a CD or DVd with software on I always secure a copy by copying the CD/DVD to a Hard drive in folders for each, I also save copies of downloaded software in the same way together with any Service packs I have nearly 80Gb of software that way.
I then put my most used software onto a 32gGb memory stick together with a Word file containing any setup keys etc.
I can then install any of the software by going to the setup or equivalent file on the USB stick to install or re-install it.
peterb99
Grafter

If you find that auto run doesn't work and you want to know what it would have run, look on the root of the CDRom and there will be a file called autorun.inf. Open it in notepad and it will show you what .exe it would have run (and what directory the .exe file is in).
You can then run it manually yourself, including any parameters it sets.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that..... having run this prog (as previously mentioned) when I had it on Floppy Disc.... I knew that I could run the setup from the setup.exe file.... I got the cd rom version from a carboot sale, so did not know whether it was able to be copied and run , hence my orginal post.