cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly showing status as 'Acquiring network address'.

ibezi1

Re: Constantly showing status as 'Acquiring network address'.

Paul_B
The MAC address for the laptop is showing as being online, in the security section of the router.
notheruser
Grafter

Quote from: intensity
Hello notheruser
I've just tried this.  However, the problem still persists.
Can you show us the result of the IPCONFIG/ALL ?
If the MAC address shows, generally speaking, you've established a connection.
Probably a stupid question, but have you checked no Firewall settings have been changed on the laptop? (Even switched firewall off)?
paulby
Grafter

Have you tried setting a static IP address a to see if you can connect?
Go to control panel>network connections and right click your local area connection (wired).
In the box on the general tab highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on Properties underneath.
In the next screen do the following:
Click "use the following IP address" and type in the following numbers:
IP address: 192.168.1.200
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Click "use the following DNS servers" and enter:
Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS Server: Leave Blank
Click on OK to close the box and then Click OK again on the other box.
Your PC should now have an IP address in the correct range on the wired connection.
(You can reset things to automatic by clicking the appropriate buttons again).
You can also repeat this for the wireless connection but give it the IP address 192.168.1.201
If you still can't connect I would suspect a firewall issue (for example you've told your firewall not to trust the network) and would follow the advice given by notheruser - temporaily disable any firewalls (and make sure that you only have one firewall on your PC - i.e. if you're using Norton or Zone Alarm etc., make sure that the Windows Firewall is Off).
ibezi1

Paul_B
My internet security software (including firewall) has been removed.  Also the Windows firewall is turned off.  However, I still cannot connect to the internet through my laptop.
paulby
Grafter

Did you try a static IP address as outlined above?
The only other thing I can think of trying, as I'm now fast running out of ideas, is to do a factory reset on your router (usually a button somewhere that you need to press and hold with a pin or similar).
You'd need to set it up again from scratch, including entering the Plusnet username/password, but it would at least rule out any problems with the router set up that we're not aware of.
I would suggest running it wired (as in use ethernet cable to all your PCs) in its basic default state to start with before setting up any security for wireless etc.
notheruser
Grafter

Hi intensity - as Paul_B says, most obvious things have been tried! Did you do as he said? If so, can you give us the full result of the IPCONFIG/ALL screen after you did? Is there any way you can get hold of another laptop or PC to try with the wired connection? Alternatively could you take your laptop to someone else's router? The easiest way of faultfinding is often to eliminate possibilities by finding out what works, rather than what doesn't. (I.e. use a process of elimination, but eliminate the "known good" items).
If you set the static IP address as suggested, did you try pinging the router? (I.e. PING 192.168.1.1) If so, what result did you get?
If that works, (I.e. you get "Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes.....etc), can you try pinging the desktop PC (this may fail if it has a firewall switched on, but if it works, then you have confirmed that you have connectivity to and through your router at IP level).
If pings fail, you have no connectivity - if pings succeed, then we can move on to DNS tests.
The more info you can give us on the success failure of all your tests, the more advice we can give - I know it's a pain, since presumably you're having to manually type out the results of the laptop tests on your other PC, but the more info, the better).
(You can copy and paste text from a command prompt to Wordpad and transfer it with a memory stick if that makes life easier for you).
rikmoncur
Grafter

open a dos prompt, then:
To reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type:
netsh winsock reset catalog
To reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
louisfromlondon

Just reading this - here's how I got mine working again (when it was presenting with exactly the same problems,and resetting the router didn't work)
1. Open up "Network Connections" via control panel
2. Right click on your wireless network icon and choose "properties"
3. On the "Wireless networks" tab, look at the "preferred networks" list.
4. Delete all of the plusnet networks that you see or have created. A clean slate.
5. Close all of that up, and go to "View available wireless networks" at the right hand end of your task bar on the desktop.
6. Refresh the list, choose the plusnet network, re-type in your password, and reconnect to the plusnet router.