cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to Outbuilding

Paul_Bantams
Hooked

Connection to Outbuilding

Hi all, I have an outbuilding next to my house that I have recently put a desk in so I can work out here in peace away from the family. 

However the wi-fi signal is very poor. I am about 10ft away from the router, but the buildings have thick walls.

I have tried using a wi-fi extender to no avail.

At present I am running a long network cable from the router, out of the window, across the drive, into the outbuilding and straight into the laptop. This is giving me a direct connection but is not ideal and I would like a more permanent solution. 

I have logged a ticket to see if Plusnet can help with this, but am not hopeful and think I will need to do something myself. I don't mind doing DIY and getting my hands dirty. 

What would be the best way to get good wi-fi connectivity to the outbuilding? (Considering the extender didn't work). I have a couple of wireless devices such as a HomePod and camera out here too. For example if I bought another router and configured it the same as my existing one, and ran a permanent cable and installed a network point in the outbuilding, would that work?

I am open to suggestions and thank everyone in anticipation for any help! Smiley

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Re: Connection to Outbuilding

What would be the best way to get good wi-fi connectivity to the outbuilding? (Considering the extender didn't work). I have a couple of wireless devices such as a HomePod and camera out here too. For example if I bought another router and configured it the same as my existing one, and ran a permanent cable and installed a network point in the outbuilding, would that work?

You should run a permanent cable and install a Wireless Access point in the outbuilding. Configuring another router the same as the existing one will NOT work. You either need a dedicated Wireless AP or a router that can be configured in Wireless AP mode

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Paul_Bantams
Hooked

That sounds perfect, thank you!

So for the avoidance of doubt, if I run a cable from the back of my router, across the drive, into a wireless access point, I will then be able to connect my devices to this access point?

Will this access point have the same username/password as my main router?

Would there be any configuration to do or is it plug and play?

Thanks again, Paul

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So for the avoidance of doubt, if I run a cable from the back of my router, across the drive, into a wireless access point, I will then be able to connect my devices to this access point?

Yes. There's a pretty good article on Access points here https://homenetworkgeek.com/how-does-a-wireless-access-point-work/

Will this access point have the same username/password as my main router?

No, it will have its own login credentials to allow configuration.

In terms of wireless network name & password, you can configure it to either be the same as the main router or completely different.

Would there be any configuration to do or is it plug and play?

I'm afraid there will be some configuration

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Paul_Bantams 

Is it possible to drill a hole through the wall for the ethernet cable, terminated in a wall socket?

Although it might cost a bit could you get the ethernet cable buried?

Same at the other end. Drill through for the cable and terminate with a wall socket. This gives a "neat" ethernet connection for you to play with.

Brian

Paul_Bantams
Hooked

Thank you for your help @MisterW, much appreciated.

@bmc Burying the cable is an option when we get the drive relaid, but for now I am going to run a rubber cable protector on the drive temporarily, and run the cable on the exterior walls in conduit. I did consider ethernet cable straight into a wall socket, but I still need wi-fi out here for the camera and HomePod Smiley A wall socket at the house end though definitely.

bmc
Hero

@Paul_Bantams 

Terminating the ethernet cable in a wall socker is no different than having it loose in the outbuilding. You can connect a WiFi access point or perhaps an ethernet switch to allow other devices a wired connection.

Brian

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Wall socket to small switch, Switch wired to camera, HomePod and WiFi access point….

@bmc Beat me to it.

bmc
Hero

@Paul_Bantams 

To add to @Paul_Bantams you could also put the laptop on wired and just use the WiFi for any other devices like phones.

If you going to do the drive then it would probably be easier to wait until you get the cable buried before doing the terrmination wall socket.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Paul_Bantams there are two main reasons for using wallplates as opposed to a cable with RJ45 connectors

1) it looks neater.

2) its MUCH easier to terminate ethernet cable to a wallplate than to crimp an RJ45 connector. You just use a standard punch tool to attach the cable to the backplate and its much easier to get the cores (there's 8 ) in the correct order. You then just use off-the-shelf pre-made patch cables (which are cheap) to connect from the wallplates to the router and wireless AP.

Just make sure you get a cable tester, saves a lot of heartache. Theyre not expensive , something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tester-ARCELI-Network-Multi-Functional-Shield/dp/B0B465D9DQ