Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a Windows 98 SE PC to Broadband

steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Connecting a Windows 98 SE PC to Broadband

Hi,
I am trying to connect an old computer running Windows 98 SE to my broadband connection so I can download virus and software updates.
The computer doesn't have an Ethernet connection so I have purchased a USB to Ethernet adapter and installed the software drivers, connecting it to port 2 on the router.
Using the information from the Microsoft website http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;835626
In the Network control panel I have the Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP (bound to the network adapter) and TCP/IP (bound to the dial-up connection/broadband connection).
I have set all the Client configuration settings listed on the support page.
I have the Network Neighbourhood icon on the desktop, and I have set the internet connection settings to never dial a connection and set LAN settings to 'automatically detect settings' and also tried using cleared all the check boxes on LAN settings as detailed in the Clent configuration settings, but I cannot get it to connect to the router.
I haven't installed Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) because it states make sure you your network card is working, then set up a working Internet connection on the host. But I don't beleive I need to install ICS anyway.
Anyone know where to go from here? or what else I need to do?
Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
hadden
Grafter

Re: Connecting a Windows 98 SE PC to Broadband

Hi
You are correct that you don't need ICS.
You shouldn't need "dial-up connection/broadband connection", but there may be a dial-up modem in the PC that causes that to exist in the devices.
Assuming the usual defaults, what you describe sounds like enough for it to work, assuming that you have connected the ethernet cable Smiley
However I am assuming that something is not working yet. Have you checked that the relevant LEDs are lit on the router and ethernet adaptor to confirm connection?
If you want to check that the ethernet adaptor is working, you could type winipcfg in the Start... Run... box. Assuming that your router has DHCP enabled and it is connected OK, the Ethernet adaptor should be allocated an IP address and that will be shown in winipcfg. If the address starts 169. then it is unlikely to be connecting to the router correctly.
steed
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply.
Quote from: JohnJ
You shouldn't need "dial-up connection/broadband connection", but there may be a dial-up modem in the PC that causes that to exist in the devices.

Yes, there is a modem in the computer which I can use for Dial-Up.
Assuming the usual defaults, what you describe sounds like enough for it to work, assuming that you have connected the ethernet cable Smiley

Yes, the Ethernet cable is connected.
However I am assuming that something is not working yet. Have you checked that the relevant LEDs are lit on the router and ethernet adaptor to confirm connection?

I have my main Windows XP computer connected to the router and broadband so I know that is working all O.K. This is connected on port 1 of the router.
The USB adapter does not have a LED.
In the Thomson Gateway router web interface only the XP computer on port 1 is showing. So I think the W98 computer is not connecting to the router.
If you want to check that the ethernet adaptor is working, you could type winipcfg in the Start... Run... box. Assuming that your router has DHCP enabled and it is connected OK, the Ethernet adaptor should be allocated an IP address and that will be shown in winipcfg. If the address starts 169. then it is unlikely to be connecting to the router correctly.

In the Device Manager the Ethernet adapter is showing as "This device is working probperly". Doing the winipcfg I get the following.
IP Configuration
Ethernet Adapter Information
PPP Adapter
Adapter address 44-45-53-54-00-00
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway
And also another listing in the dropdown box
DM9USB!!
Adapter address 00-00-00-00-00-00
IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.228.240
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway
I take it that because it starts with 169 then it is not connecting to the router.
hadden
Grafter

What you have checked seems to confirm that the ethernet adaptor is basically OK.
Beside the ethernet sockets on the back of the router, there should be an LED for each of the ethernet ports. When a cable is connected with an ethernet adaptor at the other end, the corresponding LED should light. So you should currently have a lit LED for port 1.
I know that the USB/ethernet adaptor that I have shows an led from inside the translucent case when it is connected to the router, so it may be that the LED is not visible on your USB adaptor until a connection is made.
To try to eliminate the ethernet cable from the situation, could you try disconnecting the ethernet cable from your main Windows XP computer and connect it to the ethernet adaptor on the Windows 98SE computer. Make sure that it is firmly inserted into the USB ethernet adaptor.
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: steed
Adapter address 00-00-00-00-00-00

Sorry, I didn't look at this at first and should have noticed it showing all zeroes, which is not correct. It is also known as the MAC address and should contain a unique identifier for the ethernet adaptor.
Unless the adaptor allows this to be configured at installation it may mean that the adaptor is faulty.
What is the make and manufacturer of the adapter?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I wouldn't dare try connecting ethernet via USB. Smiley
How is the ethernet device supposed to tell the device driver what it's MAC address is etc.. etc...
If you have a spare PCI slot and you can find an ethernet card with Win98 drivers then use that.
Something off of ebay would do fine.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

steed
Rising Star

Hi,
I tried the Ethernet cable from my XP computer to eliminate a bad cable when I couldn't get it to work.
The LED1 on the router is lit for my XP computer connection, but not lit for LED2 the W98 connection.
The adapter is a Pluscom USB 2.0 to Fast LAN Ethernet adapter. U2E-ADM8515.
http://www.pluscom.cn/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=33
hadden
Grafter

Hi
There not a lot of info available for that adaptor.
I think you are only left with trying the USB Ethernet adaptor on your Windows XP computer as a final test and then go back to the supplier for another adaptor  Sad
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: afoxisevil
I wouldn't dare try connecting ethernet via USB. Smiley

I do it regularly, carry a couple of USB-ethernet adapters in my "kitbag". Works fine.
(provided you have kit with decent drivers).
Very handy for older PC's migrating from dial-up to broadband.  Wink
Get mine from DABS, think this was the last one:
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4RXT
Once it's all sorted you get the "proper" PCI network card if long-term use is planned, but often this is just for migration.  Cool
steed
Rising Star

Hi
There not a lot of info available for that adaptor.
I think you are only left with trying the USB Ethernet adaptor on your Windows XP computer as a final test and then go back to the supplier for another adaptor  Sad

I think I will have try it on the XP computer to see if it is the Ethernet adapter that is the problem.
I only needed it just to use the broadband connection to download some software and virus updates so thought it would be quick and easy without the need to open up the PC and install a network card  Roll_eyes
kryten1st
Grafter

Just a long shot but do you have any kind of antivirus that includes a firewall?  I have been in a similar position several times and it has been the firewall blocking the network adapter.
steed
Rising Star

I have Norton Antivirus but no firewall.
In another post I made, I think that the adapter may have been noticed by the router because of an unknown entry in the routers admin GUI page.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75852.0.html
adie:quote
steed
Rising Star

I think you are only left with trying the USB Ethernet adaptor on your Windows XP computer as a final test

Tried it on the Windows XP computer and a laptop running Windows XP and the adapter works.
So it must be something on the Windows 98 computer that is not working.
You have to enable it on the XP computers so it could be something similar on the W98 computer.
When you open up Internet Explorer it states "Detecting Proxy Settings" but then you get the cannot find server, the page cannot be displayed.
Running winipcfg if you then click the Renew button it gives the error DHCP Server Unavailable. Renewing adapter.