cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Inspiron 6400 laptop to wireless internet

scootie
Grafter

Re: Connecting Inspiron 6400 laptop to wireless internet

plusnet comunity the ultimate computer repair shop nice one misterW . wonder if the shop the op took it to actualy tried to fix it
mal0z
Grafter

And when you did a new battery - read the instructions  Wink
and exercise it a few times - i.e fully charge it, then use the PC solely on battery power until it is there is no more usable power.
And then don't always use it plugged into the mains - use the battery - or it will loose it's ability to hold a charge.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thank you every so much.
One wi-fi connection up and running.

You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lurker
Grafter

Ahem, depends what type of battery technology is used.
For example, Li-Ion cells don't suffer from the same types of 'memory' that alkaline cells suffer, so the above might not reflect the actual instructions.
The advice to RTFM is absolutely bang on though - the only folks in a position to advise are those selling you the kit - do as they say, and no less!
mal0z
Grafter

Totally agree - but those were the instructions on the laptop we got 18 months ago, and even on mobile phones of fairly recent manufacturer.
I think maybe the better LI  batteries are not necessarily supplied as standard - but come as an option.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Was it the Dell troubleshooting advice that helped to fix the problem or re-installing the drivers?  The IT guy you had round should have found and fixed your wireless problem but at least he did not charge you anything.  The best way to find a good professional is to ask around and find someone who comes with a personal recommendation.
Off topic for this thread but laptop batteries are ridiculously expensive and you often don't even get a one year warranty with a new one.  Do you really need a battery?  If you use the mains adaptor the computer will run fine, even with the battery removed. 
Interested
Grafter

Used the Dell troubleshooting advice. Turned off the power saving default option for ethernet/wi-fi and then was prompted to enter wireless key of router (I had already tried this part after reading round these forums) but I am lead to believe the power saving mode was overriding any wi-fi attempts.
Have put power saving default option back on but now the wi-fi light is illuminated on my laptop and am free to choose my method of connection.
I live in a village with a high retired population many of whom don't even have a pc or laptop. We do have two fairly recently built housing estates but those whom we converse with are the type who often buy cover policies with all electrical items. There are many far worse places to live and we have green hill views from the house and a large city easily accessibly by train in under 30 minutes but personal reccommendations illude us, in fact a number of the retired population are regulars in the habit of asking advice from us.
Thanks again all.