Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud storage ???

Routefinder
Grafter

Cloud storage ???

Hi All
Just looking for some user experience & feedback.
Re  Cloud Storage ~ as off site storage is the only way to protect against data loss if all physically held on a single premises how many of you use the Cloud and if so what company and just how good have you found the service???
Apart from small files like docs and spreadsheets I would need to store image files and these can run to 30MB plus per file thus likely many GB of offsite required...............so apart from the speed of upload in the initial step what have you done to protect your data in the cloud???
TIA for the insight & feedback  Smiley
27 REPLIES 27
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Cloud storage ???

one thing to remember with the cloud,  only use it for additional backup/access, never use it as primary storage as it could disappear at any time. (e.g. megaupload.com).
Anonymous
Not applicable

You cannot access Cloud Storage if your broadband goes down, for whatever reason.
I use DVD-R's and external HDD's off site as an extra safety backup.
Same stored in fireproof / burglar proof Safe.
And... believe it  or not, paper printouts of my data !
I did try it, large uploads as you say, even at my speeds, it took ages to upload.
And it all comes out of your monthly allowance GB's
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I use Sugarsync - it works just fine. I use it for essential data and business records which seems to sit comfortably within 30 GB.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I'm loathed to trust anything solely to the cloud as per kmilburn.
I do use SkyDrive but so far only for my Open University course work and other files that I may need to access when away and don't have my laptop with me. But all files are duplicated elsewhere.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sort of Cloud, in that I email password protected important data only (Spreadsheets, Financial etc) to webmail adresses with different providers, 20mb at a time.
I've been doing this for many years, before someone invented Cloud computing, and fortunately never needed to access it, other than to test the integrity, but it's there if I need it.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Depends on what you want to use it for.
I use Dropbox to send files to others, I upload it once and then they can download it from the web site when they want it via a link. I am still on the free version (but now up to 16Gb due to invites) and sync my ebooks to it as well. But as to using it as backup you would need at least 2 providers and the associated time/effort/cost keeping them in sync and updated.
Razer
Grafter

I use Dropbox. I haven't as yet started to upload larger data as I'm still waiting for my upload cap to be lifted, but for the limited amount of data that I have uploaded, I have found it very easy to use. The one thing I don't really like about the service is that it stores every single previous version of your files (some people may like this 'feature') and deleted files are not actually deleted until you go fiddling to reveal deleted files and then mark them to be actually deleted.
One quirk I have found is that when I delete a file from my dropbox folder (on my HDD) and it's all supposed to sync, what it does is to download the deleted file from the site. This is not how I want it to work at all. When I delete a file, I mean to delete it. I want it then to delete the corresponding copy from the online storage. So I have first to delete it from online storage, and then mark it to show deleted and really delete it, then delete it from my HDD. I did say it was easy to use, didn't I?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Strange mine deletes when I remove from the local storage, hardly ever visit the web site except to get a link off it.
Razer
Grafter

Yes, it is strange. It did delete when I deleted from local storage at first, then just changed its mind after a week or so. I didn't change anything. Indeed, I can't even find any setting to dictate how it works in that regard.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Mav
I'm loathed ...

I'm sure we all like you. I think you mean loath.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: ReedRichards
I think you mean loath.
Absolutely  Cheesy Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Razer

One quirk I have found is that when I delete a file from my dropbox folder (on my HDD) and it's all supposed to sync, what it does is to download the deleted file from the site. This is not how I want it to work at all. When I delete a file, I mean to delete it. I want it then to delete the corresponding copy from the online storage. So I have first to delete it from online storage, and then mark it to show deleted and really delete it, then delete it from my HDD. I did say it was easy to use, didn't I?

I'm with you there, I want to control when my Data syncs, and with what.
Dropbox, and other Cloud trials, have been dropped.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I use Dropbox (they recently gave me 10GB).
However, although transmission is encrypted, Dropbox also hold the key.
So I use it for medium important stuff - I wouldn't use it to store passwords!
I wouldn't use it for low importance stuff as it takes too long to upload data at 10Mbps.
I suppose I could create a small encrypted drive and use Dropbox to store this instead.
Of course, I could [also] create an encrypted USB stick and carry it with me at all times.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I store my password encrypted files in a password encrypted 20GB Folder before I send them off anywhere.
And yes, different passwords.