Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast won't connect to wifi

FIXED
raymcginty
Fixes: 1

Chromecast won't connect to wifi

After working faultlessly for a number of years, my Chromecast device has stopped working. I have not changed anything on the network or any of the settings. But I can no longer connect to Chromecast via YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc.

I have tried the following:

- rebooted the rooter

- rebooted the Chromecast device

- restarted the Sony TV

- restarted my iPhone and reconnected to the wifi network

Using the Google Home app to configure the Chromecast device, I get as far as entering the wifi password. Then Chromecast has a think for a bit then declares it cannot connect to the wifi network.

The wifi network is working fine for all other devices in the same room and close to the TV

Does anyone have a solution for this? I am happy to log in to the router and change settings if that will fix it.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Chromecast won't connect to wifi

Hi
I am a little confused at the line "Using the Google Home app to configure the Chromecast device, I get as far as entering the wifi password".
When I have setup chromecasts using the goigle home app, the phone/tablet has to already be connected to the desired WiFi network and the google home app automatically copies the WiFi password from the phone to the chromecast.
This was with an android phone, perhaps ìphones block the WiFi password copying?
Regards
Richard
raymcginty

Hi Richard,

Thanks for responding to this.

The Chromecast has been working reliably for years. I have not made any changes to the router or the WiFi network, or my iPhone or the TV. Last week the Chromecast function stopped working and I cannot broadcast anything to the TV from youTube, iPlayer or anything else.

The iPhone is already connected to WiFi. AFAIK iPhones don't block the password copying - I used the same iPhone to set Chromecast up in the first place.

I enter the WiFi password on the phone, the TV screen states that Chromecast is connecting to WiFi. Then after a minute or so the TV screen states there was a network problem, and Chromecast cannot connect to WiFi. It suggests moving nearer to the router - which I cannot do, as the TV is in the living room and the router upstairs in the office. (Both are where they have always been).

Could the router be blocking the connection from the Chromecast for some reason? How can I check this?

Thanks,

Ray

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
Have you tried completly resetting the chromecast, press and hold the button on the chromecast until it shuts down. When it restarts it will have to be set up from scratch.

raymcginty

Fix

Hi,

I did try a factory reset on the Chromecast device, yes, but that made no difference.

In desperation, I called Plusnet's 0800 number, and heard a message to say hang up and we will send you a text to which you can reply. The Plusnet diagnostic bot then checked the line and found there was no problem with the line or the broadband connection (which I already knew) but I was then able to reply with the word ADVISOR to ask to speak to a human.

A few minutes later I had a call from a very helpful tech advisor who obviously knew what he was talking about, and he took me through a few steps (most of which I had already tried.

What eventually fixed it was a factory reset of the Plusnet One router using the small hole on the back of the router.