Did you mean: 

Chromecast with Google tv - cannot find my wifi

FIXED
ootiptoetip
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Chromecast with Google tv - cannot find my wifi

Hi,

In October 2020 I bought the new Chromecast with Google tv to upgrade my current Chromecast I have (which works fine on my Plusnet Wifi.)

The new Google tv won't connect to my wifi. As part of the setup, it asks me to select my wifi, I select my wifi however it then says 'it cannot find it' - this is the same whether I set it up via an iPad, iPhone, Android phone or even directly via my tv.

I tried lots of router reboots, CC resets, I even disabled authentication via the router admin settings - no joy.

Google won't provide a refund as its past it 15 day period, they push the issue to Plusnet.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Chromecast with Google tv - cannot find my wifi

Hi @ootiptoetip Does it run on the 5Ghz wifi, is the router up to date.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ootiptoetip
Hooked

Hi mort7890, thanks for your question, the router is the standard router supplied by Plusnet in March, model 2704N, I don't know what it runs on...

ootiptoetip
Hooked

Hi mort7890Having just a quick google, it would appear it is only running on 2.4...'The Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n is a disappointing 802.11n router that only supports 2.4GHz' https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

ootiptoetip
Hooked

My firmware version is as per the below, how do I know if this is the latest version? Can someone from plusnet advise.

Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I'm not sure why you believe its a router problem. The original Chromecast works fine, the new one doesn't , surely that points at the problem being with the new Chromecast, despite what Google might infer!

Have you tried connecting the Chromecast to any other wireless network , like a friends or neighbours , Covid restrictions allowing!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @ootiptoetip Found the following on Google

If you have enabled AP Isolation/Client Isolation on your Wi-Fi router, or if this is the default setting, you will need to turn it off. Find out more about AP Isolation here. If the network that you want to connect to is hidden (a network that is set not to broadcast its name), you'll need to manually input the network's name and password. Please call your network provider if you don't know the name or password of your Wi-Fi router.

perhaps that may help you

ootiptoetip
Hooked

Thanks, I logged into my router admin but cannot see where to turn off AP Isolation, Google said to contact Plusnet and ask if it is turned off, can anyone tell me if this is turned on or off ? Or how I can turn it off? 

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I don't have a Chromecast so not sure if these pages are any help?

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7212115?hl=en-GB

https://www.alphr.com/change-chromecast-new-wi-fi/

I did also see another post about connecting to another network and doing a firmware update.

Edit to add: It seems you have to have the Google Home app as well: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7022492

mort7890
Pro

Hi @ootiptoetip That was the latest firmware  as of March 2020 you could request a check on the firmware however checking further reported in October 2020 the following

Firmware version: 7.275.14_F2704N_Plusnet

Suggest you request an update

mort7890
Pro

Update Hi @ootiptoetip response from @bobpullen 

NEW

7.275.11 is the latest production build. Nothing between that and the version I pushed to @seebee touches the Wi-Fi configuration.

Bob Pullen

mort7890
Pro

Hi @ootiptoetip Do you have another router you could use only as an access point to try.

ootiptoetip
Hooked

Fix

Hi,

Just to close this out, I randomly tried connecting a very small HDMI extension cable (4 inches) I had lying around, this fixed the issue, I can only imagine moving the CC slightly away from the tv resolved whatever connection issues it was facing to find the wifi? Who knows, anyway, I post this for all future me's out there, try this now, thank me later Wink