cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking modem/router software for malware

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Checking modem/router software for malware

The other day I had a phone call supposedly from BT Open Reach Tech Support. They claimed my router (modem?) was showing activity on the internet that was suspicious. I smelled a rat straight away. During the discussion (I kept it polite just in case), as I wasn't co-operating, they said they would have to disconnect me from the internet, so I said "Go ahead. I will contact my ISP" so they hung up. Everything worked perfectly until about half an hour later when suddenly I couldn't access the web. Co-incidence or what!

Fortunately I had prepared just in case, and had already made a record of Plusnet's phone number, so I called PN. They tested the line and found no problem so then they suggested powering the router off and on. That fixed the internet connection problem, but it got me thinking "did the 'BT caller' have the ability to get at my router? Had they 'blocked' it? Is there a way I can check my router s/w for anything iffy?" I have Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Spybot on my pc, but what about protecting the router?

My router is a Netgear N300 DGN2200v4.

Thanks for any help

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Checking modem/router software for malware

@penneck 

It will more than likely be a coincidence.

What you can do is make sure that the hub is running the latest firmware and if necessary update it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Baldrick1 . I thought it was just co-incidence too. I will see what I can do about the f/w

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@penneck wrote:

...it got me thinking "did the 'BT caller' have the ability to get at my router? Had they 'blocked' it?

The scammers call loads of numbers, and they can obviously assume that most of the people who answer will have a broadband connection, but they can't be sure.

They certainly won't know your IP address or even who your ISP is. That's why they try to con people into using TeamViewer or similar remote access facility to gain access to your computer.

As there are so many of these scam attempts going on all the time, there are inevitably going to be occasional coincidences where a 'suspicious' loss of service occurs.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @198kHz , yes I agree with everything you wrote, but it would have been nice to have found there was a way of checking the router for malware. After all, we do it for our pcs

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

I've never heard of Viruses or Malware running on home /small system routers. Any unusual activity will most likely be coming from an attached device, I.E. your PC. Security flaws have been found in Routers allowing hackers to infiltrate your devices but theses are all protected, aren't they ?
Occasionally Router manufacturers will release firmware updates to tighten security so worth checking frequently..................