cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG8150 Printer problem

oldgeezer
Grafter

Canon MG8150 Printer problem

About a year ago I bought a Canon MG8150 all-in-one printer.
I don't do a lot of printing but I did want high quality photo prints. The machine produces extremely good colour prints but the ongoing ink costs have been astronomic.
I might only turn the machine on about once a week but every time it's turned on it goes through a three minute cleaning cycle that wastes at least about 20% of the ink in each cartridge. It alsp purges ink when it switches off. I'm surprised it's not stood in a big pool of ink ! Embarrassed
I gave up on original Canon cartridges months ago but decent compatible cartridges cost about £40 for the complete set of six, (two blacks, a grey and the three colours).
According to the t'internet the only solution is to leave the damn thing powered up all the time.
I've measured the consumption on standby and it's about 7 watts, 'so that's not too bad but I don't want to leave the thing switched on while me and the missus are asleep directly above it.
Any ideas for a replacement that produces acceptable prints but doesn't cost a fortune in ink. I paid the best part of £200 for it and it's cost me more than that since in replacement ink ?
I can't be faffed with online printing services.
3 REPLIES 3
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Canon MG8150 Printer problem

Unfortunately the quality of printers is not as good these days, could I suggest you look on the following website which you could post the question you ask here,
http://www.printerknowledge.com/
I have had a lot of useful information from this site regarding the refilling of cartridges and resetting them
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I would have thought that.....
A).  If you want "high quality photo printing"... then you would be best off with a Laser printer.
B).  if you don`t do much "general printing"..... then you would be best off with a Laser printer...
Cartridges may look expensive, initially, but in your case, probably cheaper over a period fo ( say ) 5 years...
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I had a Lexmark 510 colour laser printer but had nothing but problems with it, if you go down that path do as much research as possible before you buy and one tip, do not use your vacuum cleaner to hoover up any spilt dye from the cartridges as it is so fine it will damage the motor.
Companies like Asda have the facility to print photographs from your CD at any size you want using a laser printer check it out because if you are satisfied with the quality this may prove to be the cheapest option.
You could also compare the photos against prints you have done yourself , in my case I can see little difference between those printed at Asda and the ones I print myself.
We are born into history and history is born into us.