Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG3250 not printing (wireless)

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Canon MG3250 not printing (wireless)

Hope someone can answer this one - having no printer is a bit of a pain.
I have a Canon MG3250 printer which I use wirelessly - printer is in upstairs 'office' and I use a laptop downstairs.
Last week,printer worked perfectly, printing whatever I asked of it. Today, it won't print from the laptop - accepts the request but then fails, eventually leaving a 'Printer - problem' message on the print queue list.
Only anomally I can see, after clearing all pending jobs is that hovering over the printer icon in the taskbar it says '1 job pending for John' , but opening the printer queue says there are none pending?
Printer is a MG3250 running on W7HP x64 on a Samsung RV511 machine.
John
14 REPLIES 14
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Canon MG3250 not printing (wireless)

click on File.... and see if..... "Work Off line" has a tick against it....  if so... remove it by clicking on it... then try again....  Wink
jab1
Legend

Cheers shutter - good call, but unfortunately, I'd already checked that.  I'm not usually stumped by computer problems, having worked with them since the days when 'IT support' was whoever the boss thought was daft enough to take it on  Wink
Joking apart, I have tried again (and failed) to print, but have noticed that I didn't get any 'upload' traffic as was normal prior to this problem
Before anyone asks - yes the printer has got an IP.
John
shutter
Community Veteran

That one has caught me out a couple of times....that`s why I mentioned it....  Good luck...  Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try moving the laptop:-
a) closer to the router or
b) closer to the printer.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@ foxy ...

Last week,printer worked perfectly, printing whatever I asked of it.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does it work via the local PC then?
BTW I've been caught out by paper empty conditions... Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend

Don't know about that - it has never been installed on that machine, simply because it is there as an emergency resource -it is old, slow & cranky. In any case, even if it did, it would have be by cable which won't answer the laptop-printer connection query over wireless.
I can say that it copies though. Can't check scanning because of the connection problem noted above.
Paper is OK - its a front loading tray and I promise you there is paper in the tray.
The problem APPEARS to be that the router can't see the printer when I send data for printing - there is simply no 'upload' activity, and the job just gets hung in mid-air, so to speak.
John
shutter
Community Veteran

Not sure if any of this applies.... but maybe something here will/could help...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/troubleshoot-network-printer-problems
look down the list of "problems" and click on the bottom one..... " I can`t print to a network printer".... a drop down page appears with a lot of info.....  
There is also a "download" for Printer.Fixit on this page....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/troubleshoot-printer-problems
Click on the little man in overalls !  with FIX IT ....
jab1
Legend

Thanks shutter -I'll have a look when wake up.  Wink
John
jab1
Legend

Neither of those options helped unfortunately Cry - but thanks anyway.
John
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: jab1
The problem APPEARS to be that the router can't see the printer when I send data for printing - there is simply no 'upload' activity, and the job just gets hung in mid-air, so to speak.

You could try setting the printer to have a static IP address rather than one assigned dynamically by the router - that sometimes works.  But it's possible the wireless adaptor on the  printer has failed, in which case you'll just have to use a wired connection.
picbits
Rising Star

Can you have a look at the IP address of the printer - it should be something like 192.168.1.x
Then from a command box on your PC (press Windows + R then type in CMD) try pinging the printer with the command :
ping 192.168.1.x (where x is the IP address of the printer)
*Edit - you could also try Windows + R then type spool. Have a look in the printers folder and see if there are any queued jobs in there.
jab1
Legend

RR + Dom - thanks both for the suggestions, will try them tomorrow  when have a bit of time.
John
jab1
Legend

Sorry RR + Dom - never got round to either of those checks due to other issues, but just out of desperation I tried to print again just now, and SUCCEEDED. Don't know why  it decided to play nice, but I'm not complaining. Wink
Just as a point of interest, the printer did take a while to come on line, initially reporting 'not communicating' but then suddenly changed. This is unusual, previously by the time I had switched it on and got downstairs again, it had been ready to go.
Edited to add:
Strangely enough, wiFi Guard, which is supposed to log all wifi connected devices, did not pick the printer up, although I ran a check imeadiately  after printing. Huh
John