cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Samsung TV to router

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't connect Samsung TV to router

@Helen15, For what it may be worth can I suggest that you physically turn the power off on the TV for a few minutes so that it forces a restart of the TV when you turn it on again. Worth a try I'd say.

Helen15
Hooked

I've done that one.  I've had to take the TV off the wall to get to the socket!  I have just contacted Samsung and they suggested it was a faulty NIC.  I'm supposed to believe the card failed the same day I changed my ISP and router Huh  They just give you the name of a Samsung Service Engineer who I believe charge a fortune and it often does not fix it.

Tonight I am going to test the NIC using a personal hotspot on a mobile.  This will see if it has truly now lost the ability to detect any wireless networks which appears to be the case.

Rather than replace the NIC does anyone know if I can use some type of gadget (dongle etc) to replace the built in wifi?  I suppose ideally I could do with hard wiring but I cannot see how that can be practically achieved when the router is far away and the Tv is on the wall?Huh

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You might find https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/samsung-smart-tv-unable-to-connect-to-internet-suddenly-6370...

interesting, together with other Google entries.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to physically connect your TV to your router using a LAN cable, as I doubt your NIC is faulty, too convenient I'd say, so you may want to consider getting some Power Line adapters like these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FFBN4MO

There are cheaper variants available, but I use these myself for my Samsung and they can stream 4K (watching the Grand Tour via the built in App) without issue they are also pass-through so you don’t lose a socket.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

In the past I've sung the praises of PowerLine adaptors which I also used to use for my TV (Samsung) and a few other devices.  However, although I found them far better at the time than a dodgy Wi-Fi signal, in my case they weren't 100% reliable for solid streaming from my MediaPortal PC upstairs to the TV downstairs which is what most of my viewing consists of, and even streaming music sometimes suffered from buffering, so in the end I installed a 'temporary' Ethernet cable through the hall ceiling and down  a wall.

The trouble is, that was about ten months ago, and 'temporary' has become 'semi-permanent' - another job I need to complete!

VileReynard
Hero

So basically you want a wifi -> ethernet device that doesn't use powerline.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Helen15 you say you tried your old talktalk router, perhaps a daft question but did you change the settings in the talktalk router to the plusnet settings.

Helen15
Hooked

Hi, thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I rung Samsung who said it sounded like the Network Interface Card that was no longer working and to call out an Engineer.  I don't know how changing ISP and router broke it but as it no longer picks up any wifi networks it does appear to have stopped working.  Anyway I had no intention of ringing an Engineer as I knew it would be costly.

The good news is that I've bought an Amazon Fire Stick and hey presto I have catch up TV again for £24.99 (and the cost of Amazon Prime which I was considering anyway...)

VileReynard
Hero

It's a pricey way of repairing a NIC if you didn't want to pay the annual subscription for Amazon Prime each and every year.