Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Website on Plusnet Router

FIXED
RichV
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Can't access Website on Plusnet Router

Thanks for your help so far, I'll do that and you have a good evening.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@RichV wrote:

My Laptop, Tower and Iphone time out If I try to access Eurocarparts,com (IP address 194.74.180.83)  via the Plusnet router. All other website connect without problems. 

Narrowing it down a bit, my son in law is with Plusnet but has his own router and I can access Eurocarparts.com there.

Can anyone throw any light on this, any help greatly appreciated.  

Hopefully getting a new IP will solve your problem. But I too had problems getting the site to load first time around (I just cut and pasted your first link into the browser). Reason it failed to load was there was a comma and not a dot before the 'com' part. Hopefully not your problem.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@idonno Didn't notice the misconfigured address as I just Googled and loaded from there - but it could be a problem.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 Interestingly, if you look up Europarts IP address you get 194.74.180.83. But if you look up whois 194.74.180.83 you get BT!? Strange to say, if I just use the IP address to go to the site, most times it will load ok. But one of those times I got a bad certificate alert, saying the certificate is for Europarts.com? Continuing onwards all that gets displayed is a grey background with no sign of Europarts at all. Very strange.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Legend

@idonno Even weirder - I get a warning from Firefox about an invalid cert if I use the IP address, but no problem going from a Goggle search!!

John
RichV
Dabbler

Good morning John, my IP didn't renew and I still have no access. I include below the Ping an Tracert results. 

Pinging 194.74.180.83 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Tracing route to 194.74.180.83 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 4 ms 2 ms 3 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * 10 ms 8 ms 129.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.129]
4 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 128.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.128]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 ^C

jab1
Legend

Good morning to you too, Rich. I did warn it might not - the pools are quite small, and if your local one is fully utilised, you just get back the one you released.Sad

Pity the tracert times out so early - that isn't very helpful. Unfortunately the only real course of action is for you to contact the company and request they update their records, but I think it will be an uphill struggle - I suspect the people who answer the phone will have no idea what you are asking.

John
jab1
Legend

I've just tried the same tracert and ping, with similar results to you - my suspicion is that the site is misconfigured, but I'm not a networking expert. The comments by @idonno at post 19 tend to add weight to that.

John
RichV
Dabbler

John, just to rule it out: My connection suffix is 'Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan '

I am accessing via Wifi, does this make any difference. Also I found another similar post, that was fixed, but the terminology escapes me. Is this any use?

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Unable-to-access-A-Specific-Website/td-p/1449675

jab1
Legend

Rich, sorry for the delayed reply - just read the whole of your linked post, just in case - but that is no help.

As to your connection suffix and using Wi-Fi , neither of those are relevant.

The issue (as I see it, but note I'm not a network expert) , is down to the site you are trying to reach having decided (wrongly) that you are not in the UK, and the only way to solve this is to persuade them or their IP Location provider(s) to correct their databases.

John
RichV
Dabbler

Ok John we'll call it a day for now and I very much appreciate your time and expertise. My next step will be to try another non Plusnet router and see what happens then. I've just discovered that Plusnet Safeguard was set to ON. I didn't do this so have set it to OFF. The message indicates that this may take up to two hours to be effective so I'll try again later. 

Whatever happens with the Safeguard and the Router I'll be sure to let you know for information only. 

jab1
Legend

Rich - the router, unless it is connected to a different IP - say at another location, will have no effect. Safeguard is not the problem here, it is the incorrect geo-location data that Eurocarparts is using.

John
RichV
Dabbler

John, thanks for that, I'll try to contact them but I won't hold my breath. This may be asking a bit but could you put together a paragraph that summarises the problem specifically as related to me. 

jab1
Legend

Basically, all you need to do is try and get through to someone in their IT department, or find out who maintains their web-site and contact them, and advise them that their IP-location data is way out of date and ask them to correct it.

I'm sorry to say, though, that I think you may be hitting a brick wall - I doubt anyone you are able to get hold of at ECP will have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

John
RichV
Dabbler

Brilliant, thank you. Just as a final, final, question. Cam I get Plusnet to force a new Public IP for me?