Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV Remote Viewing

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: CCTV Remote Viewing

Whilst I don't disagree with the essence of the last two posts, both imply that TSS24 isn't checking that a change of public IP address is the cause of the issues. Indeed I doubt that it is.
There is no reason in normal circumstances why the public IP address should change that frequently if at all, unless the connection is being dropped for whatever reason including reboots.

Port forwarding issues with the 2704n are well known and until they are overcome, it won't make any difference whether a fixed public IP address is used or not.

Lurch
Rising Star

@Anotherone wrote:

Whilst I don't disagree with the essence of the last two posts, both imply that TSS24 isn't checking that a change of public IP address is the cause of the issues.

That wasn't what I meant to imply, what I was implying that some of the DDNS providers built into to DVRs are a complete unknown.

@Anotherone wrote:

Port forwarding issues with the 2704n are well known and until they are overcome, it won't make any difference whether a fixed public IP address is used or not.

Maybe not, but as has been mentioned it is something that can be ruled out simply and reasonably cheaply.

Anotherone
Champion

Whilst not wanting to get involved in a rather silly circular argument, it's very easy to check if the public IP address has changed and at the time of testing rule that in or out of the issue.

To be clear though, unless there are other reasons why the user is using DDNS, my preferred solution in such circumstances would be to use a fixed public IP address.

TSS24
Hooked

Hi all,

Thanks for reply. Im very confident that static IP won't help !'
As the other poster said. DDN IS SO GOod, I've got several and you can use 3rd party sites like "whatsmydns.net" to CLEARLY SEE DYDNS PROPAGATION AS ROUTER IP CHANGES.
This is defo something to do with sagemcom router, which isn't DOING WHAT THR CONFIG says.
I've already changed the router twice, before you ask!
Never had these issues with. T sky router, tempted to go back to sky.?
Thanks
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I only mentioned static IP because I noticed you were a new member and didn't know if you knew that was an option with Plusnet.

Lurch
Rising Star

@TSS24 wrote:
Thanks for reply. Im very confident that static IP won't help !'
As the other poster said. DDN IS SO GOod, I've got several and you can use 3rd party sites like "whatsmydns.net" to CLEARLY SEE DYDNS PROPAGATION AS ROUTER IP CHANGES.

Crikey, maybe you should spend the fiver on a new keyboard instead!

@TSS24 wrote:
Never had these issues with. T sky router, tempted to go back to sky.?
Thanks

Or you could stay with Plusnet and buy a decent router that isn't made to a price point of near enough nothing? I have to say the Sky router is pretty much the worst I have ever come across, which is a good achievement as all ISP supplied routers are generally terrible in some fashion. Think of them as more of a 'get you going' type thing, and if you want to do anything beyond stalk people on Facebook and look at funny cats on YouTube then you should buy a decent router.

TSS24
Hooked

Hi all,

All feedback given good, but your all overlooking the main point..!
The port checker tool shows ports closed, locally!!
That's nothing to do with. Eye irk it Dynamic issues.?Huh

Thanks in advance for further tech guidance.,
TSS24
Hooked

Apologies for typos!!
Should say.."... Nothing to do with dynamic DNS issues"..
Port checker tool, flags router NOT doing what it's told to do on port forward nenu
Lurch
Rising Star

@TSS24 wrote:
All feedback given good, but your all overlooking the main point..!
The port checker tool shows ports closed, locally!!

How have you tested locally? Have you tested your external IP? If you are testing to the DDNS name only it still doesn;t prove anything, if the DDNS service is not routing then it will not be showing the status of your routers ports.

@TSS24 wrote:
Eye irk it Dynamic issues.?Huh

Indeed.

@TSS24 wrote:
Apologies for typos!! Should say.."... Nothing to do with dynamic DNS issues"..

Probably best to edit the post rather than release addendums (click 'post options' at the top right of your post).

TSS24
Hooked

Hi lurch,

Tested several times by typing in directly the external router IP address, as it changes.

Everyone seems to be avoiding the main point of "port checker tool" evidencing ports not open, so hence won't get cctv homepage.

This is not a dynamic DNS issue, I assure you Alll.

I will look to get s fixed up for measly price of £5/year, just to prove you all nothing to do wih extend ip or dynamic DNS.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@TSS24 wrote:

I will look to get s fixed up for measly price of £5/year,

It's a once only fee of £5 as mentioned earlier in the thread, not £5 per year as you seem to think.

Lurch
Rising Star

@TSS24 wrote:
Hi lurch,

Tested several times by typing in directly the external router IP address, as it changes.

Everyone seems to be avoiding the main point of "port checker tool" evidencing ports not open, so hence won't get cctv homepage.

This is not a dynamic DNS issue, I assure you Alll.

I will look to get s fixed up for measly price of £5/year, just to prove you all nothing to do wih extend ip or dynamic DNS.

No-one knew that it was definitely a router issue at the time, the general discussion on a fixed IP was a troubleshooting step. Your post has been tacked onto another thread so some of the posts may not be directly applicable to you and are here to serve as general guidance for other viewers.

I did suggest earlier checking the external IP as a test to rule it out which it appears you have done. Maybe if you gave all the information at the start rather than angrily smashing your keyboard and posting the output then we could have ruled out the DDNS situation earlier.

I did also suggest binning your router, moving to the..... no wait, just buy a decent router. I would recommend the static IP either way.

Anotherone
Champion

@Lurch wrote:

No-one knew that it was definitely a router issue at the time

Oh well, excuse me, I did say (and I've now added some emphasis)

Anotherone wrote:
Port forwarding on the 2704n is, something that people discovered when it first came out, not a simple thing compared to other normal routers. Some of the issues appeared to be related to the devices appearing as "unknown". Sometimes these were resolved by allocating such devices a fixed local IP on the LAN. The other aspect as I understood it is that if there is a pre-existing port-forwarding rule for particular ports, that rule must be edited, you cannot simply create another rule using the same ports.

Logging into the (modem)/router as http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html gives access to greater ability to configure the router.

@TSS24 How much of what I have re-quoted above have you tried please? Even if it hasn't resolved your problem, it may help others.
The following may also be of some help, and also further reading of the threads they are in -

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Not-able-to-forward-ports-80-and-443-on-Plusnet-Sagemcom-270...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/ISP-PlusNet-Launch-Faster-Hub-Zero-270...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Open-Port-80-on-Zero-2704n-Router/m-p/1211954#M14607

And there's a lot of detailed technical stuff in the following thread if it's something within your capability and you accept the risks involved -

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Unlocking-the-potential-of-Sagemcom-27...

Note - Plusnet's v2 firmware doesn't allow downloading of a text config Roll_eyes

TSS24
Hooked

Many thanks all for your continued support!

My latest technical troubleshooting so far:-

1. I got a FIXED-IP from PLUSNET, and as I predicted MADE NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever - I'm afraid!

2. Did some further troubleshooting with PORT Forward checker: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ 

What the results revealed is that EVEN THOUGH I had a Technical Port Forward RULEs for PORTS 80 and 50100 for BOTH TCP ad UDP in /x4 Separate rules/lines on the Table- The router would not 'Register' these PORTS as OPEN!

SO I used  http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to CHECK OPEN/CLOSED ports. When I 're-applied' the Port Forward Rule base/table it would work temporarily and my CCTV would appear n my phone/Internet.  Then after a period of 30mins/1hr it would STOP WORKING!

I then went back into the "Port Forwarding" rule table I had previously devised a "Re-applied" the Port Forwarding Rule base and It WORKED- just for another 30mins-1hr again.

So it APPEARS that the Sagemcom Router can't STORE the PORT FORARD RULES for longer than 30mins-1hr without MANUAL INTERVENTION- Re-application of Rule base.

How rubbish is that ? Pathetic PlusNet [Removed]!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): insult removed as per Forum rules

Anotherone
Champion

I'm afraid the answer to the question - did you edit/use the existing rule for port 80 or create a new one? has not been forth-coming.! Huh