Did you mean: 

C drive created 2 user files

FIXED
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

C drive created 2 user files

Hi,

I've bought a refurbished dell optiplex 7010 and found that it's created 2 user folders in the "C" drive one with my first name and the second with my surname.

Can I merge the two together, i.e. copy and paste from one to the other, and make the first name user as my default?

Thanks for any help.

7 REPLIES 7
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: C drive created 2 user files

@mexicano 

Are you saying that you created two users, one with your first name and one with your surname?

Dave

mexicano
Rising Star

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying.

I have now had a chance to actually look at what I did with this machine. Please bear with me!

It came with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed but with a lot of junk included, as usual.

So first I reset the pc to to factory settings and that worked out fine.

Then I restored my files and documents from a backup I made the day before using Macrium Free. It was supposed to copy the files to the same directories but of-course it didn't. It created a folder called "Mark" and placed everything in that.

When I reset the pc I signed in with my Microsoft account and it created a user account with the last 5 letters of my email address, which is my surname.

I've now fixed the folder named "Mark" by manually transferring all the files to the surname folder and deleted the "Mark" folder.

What I want now is instructions on how to rename the user account from my surname to something else and not mess up the login to the pc!!

Sorry it's so long winded.

This is the only thing I don't know how to do.

If you can help or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

If it can't be done then I guess I will have to just grin and bear it Smiley

Mark

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You've paid for the machine - don't they offer any support?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mexicano
Rising Star

Oh yeah. I got in touch with them and they replied the same day and with the virus that's pretty good. All they could offer was return to base and they would re-install the OS but as I said I  figured out the two user accounts and the machine is now working great!

The only thing that is bugging me is the user account name change. I don't want to return the machine just for that!

I thought that maybe someone here could help.

Thanks

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @mexicano 

To change that account name,  open the Control Panel then choose User Accounts. You can then change names, add accounts etc,

To open the Control Panel you can click on seach (lower left of screen) and start typing "Control Panel" and then launch it

Dave

mexicano
Rising Star

Fix

Done that. There's nothing there except me as administrator and can't change anything. The user profile shows: my computer name/surname. That's what I want to change the user profile.

mexicano
Rising Star

Just to update the post. This is what I did and it worked:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-change-name-user-profile-folder-windows-10-a.html