cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser History

sofistikate79

Browser History

Can anyone tell me if I can see my browser history on here please?
14 REPLIES 14
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Browser History

What browser(s) on which device(s)?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

"Here" meaning somewhere on Plusnet's website?  The answer is no.  Your browser history is stored on the device you did the browsing from.

I don't know if Plusnet and other ISPs maintain a secret record of the sites visited by their clients.  This information might be very useful to the security services.  But I imagine the storage capacity required would make this prohibitively expensive to do.     

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I Thought that is was now the law for ISP's to keep a  big junk of  your Browsing History irrespective of whether you are thought to be involved of a crime. Under Investigatory Powers Act 2016 c.25

Looking at it, it is now an Act of Parliament

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@LifeonMars - Even if they do(and I assume they do) that information is only released to specific government agencies after a court order.

John
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

No

I think the Act makes it easier for Security Services to obtain the info without a Warrant. Except for the most detailed information.

It is not only the Security services that will have access, but other Government Departments and Police Force.

ISP's have to log everyone for min of 12 months

The list is here

https://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Schedule-4.pdf

jab1
Legend

OK - I never really followed the saga of that Act, or it's ramifications, but your comment doesn't help the OP - as an individual, you cannot get that info from your ISP.

As stated previously, the required data is only stored on the browser you use, and will be removed if you have the browser (or a program like CCleaner) set to delete history on close.

John
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So would Freedom of Information laws allow you to see your own browsing history?  

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

@jab1 wrote:

OK - I never really followed the saga of that Act, or it's ramifications, but your comment doesn't help the OP - as an individual, you cannot get that info from your ISP.

As stated previously, the required data is only stored on the browser you use, and will be removed if you have the browser (or a program like CCleaner) set to delete history on close.

My replies help the poster of message 3 and your self who obviously did not know.

jab1
Legend

Would you want to pay £10/time to do that , rather than just set history clearing to 'never', or some period of time? Personally, I have CC to clear it when I run the program before shutdown.

John
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

I would say no, as It has to be Government Bodies Computers that Freedom Of Information Act refers to.

The Isp's  are not Government Computers.

However should the Government services obtain your browsing details from your Isp and place it on their computers for some reason, then the Freedom of Information Act may  kick in.

@ReedRichards wrote:

So would Freedom of Information laws allow you to see your own browsing history?  

jab1
Legend

@LifeonMars wrote:

My replies help the poster of message 3 and your self who obviously did not know.

Sorry, hadn't read that post.

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

As @LifeonMars says FOI doesn't apply here but a Subject Access Request could be made.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If they try to 'do you' for something using your browsing history as evidence, you must surely be given access to the information the charge is based on, unless they claim that such disclosure would breach national security, and even then holding the hearing(s) in closed court might be a preferred option.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

They store more than a destination IP address - they store the full domain address.

I wonder what would happen if I used my full 20 Mbits/sec which costs me nothing, to clog up someone's history log.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."