cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging TO a Hub Two (How to Set Up as Router only, with a Three 4G Hub as Modem)

WotW
Grafter

Bridging TO a Hub Two (How to Set Up as Router only, with a Three 4G Hub as Modem)

Hello! Last week Plusnet discontinued my contract due to something to do with BT DSL contracts, my line isnt a good line, maybe gets 20MBps on a good day. I'm not sure, but whatever the technicalities it was a fine ending of contract and Plusnet have been the best ISP I've ever had.

I'm in NW Scotland. It'a £25pm or more for any landline contract. Three.co.uk offer a 4G home hub for £20pm, averaging MBps above the 20MBps gained through the line.

The hub is working fine, speeds are fine. Now I have a spare Plusnet Two hub. I want to use the three hub (a ZTE MF286D) as a modem and the Plusnet hub as a router.

I tried doing it yesterday for an hour or so. I can set the three hub into bridge mode. Plugged the ethernet into both Lan connections (I tried every config. of this) but to no avail.

I think where I am failing is the credentials on the Plusnet hub are still service@plusnet.co.uk, and not the relevant three.co.uk credentials. But when I look on the three hub settings the username and password is blank. I tried entering a blank entry on the Plusnet hub but it would not allow it.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated, many thanks for reading!
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Bridging TO a Hub Two (How to Set Up as Router only, with a Three 4G Hub as Modem)

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Router to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Re: Bridging TO a Hub Two (How to Set Up as Router only, with a Three 4G Hub as Modem)

You can't use the PN hub with non-BT group Broadband connections, so I'm not sure it would ever work.
Customer / Moderator
WotW
Grafter

Hi dvorak,

Gotcha, I did wonder, as I couldnt find anything on Google about setting this kinda thing up.

Im going to look into wiping the software off the router and placing some freeware on it tonight.

Many thanks
dvorak

I'll save you some time, you can't with the hub2.
You could with the hub1.
Customer / Moderator
WotW
Grafter

Ive just realised I might have a Hub One of sorts. I think I have a BT hub 5

Edit: oops, no its a hub 6, pfft

Ive two hub6s that useless haha