Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge settings

FIXED
Dal1980
Hooked

Bridge settings

Hi

I'm wanting to put my old router into bridge mode to pass connection responsibilities onto my pfSense box. (or at least I think that what I need to do)

I'm new to this level of understanding and there doesn't seem to be any information I can find on the forum or on the web for exactly what settings I need to use or if this router is even compatible with what I want to do (it does have bridge mode though).

Here's the settings I have available

Enable Connection: [on | off]
Name: [textbox] (I just set this to plusdsl.net but it may just be an unused ID)
Service Type (internet): [on | off]
Service Type (TR069): [on | off]
Connection Type: [IP Routing (PPP) | IP Routing (IP) | Bridged] (I've set this to bridged)
Link Information
VPI/VCI: [textbox] / [textbox] (this currently has 0/38 set)
Link Mode: [EoA | PPPoA | IPoA]
Service Type: [UBR without PCR | UBR with PCR | CBR | Non real-time VBR | Real-time VBR]
Encapsulation Mode: [LLC | VCMUX]
Enable DSL SRA: [on | off]
Enable VLAN: [on | off]

I've got a little lost with all these settings as they are not mentioned https://www.plus.net/my.html

Can anyone help?

I don't know if it will make any difference but I have a Plusnet Static IP and I'm on the 80Mbp/s fibre connection.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that this old router is a HUAWEI HG633 (version H1.01) supplied from TalkTalk (my previous ISP)

Many thanks

Dal

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Bridge settings

Fix

Those are ADSL settings, somewhere you should have some settings for PTM which is used for Fibre.

Here's an example for the HG635 , hopefully the 633 is similar https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Super-Router-HG635-Configure-for-Your-Own-Router...

If it's possible to configure the 633 in Bridged PTM mode the you will need to set VLAN ID to 101 and you will need to configure pfSense for a PPPoE connection with your PN username/password.

The static IP is not relevant, all it means is the PN ALWAYS allocate you the same IP. So configure pfSense to obtain an IP from the ISP.

edit: if the 633 can't be configured in bridged PTM then you could look for a HG612 BT openreach modem on ebay.

Alternatively the TP link W9970 https://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=3187864 is easily configured and works fine in PTM bridged mode .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dal1980
Hooked

Hi MisterW

Thanks for the reply Smiley

I never thought to go checking the forums at my previous host Embarrassed

Everything in the screen grab is the same except for 4 extra options I have shown in my table:

VPI/VCI: [textbox] / [textbox] (this currently has 0/38 set)
Link Mode: [EoA | PPPoA | IPoA]
Service Type: [UBR without PCR | UBR with PCR | CBR | Non real-time VBR | Real-time VBR]
Encapsulation Mode: [LLC | VCMUX]

VPI/VCI has been left as 0/38

When I try to submit with Link Mode set to "PPPoA" it errors so I set it to "EoA" but I have no idea if this is the correct setting or if I should have chose "PoA" instead.

Service Type has been left as "UBR without PCR"

Encapsulation Mode has been left as "VCMUX"

Would this be correct do you think?

Many thanks

Dal

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Those options should not be there for PTM mode , they are ADSL options.

This thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Talk-Talk-Router-HG633-configuration-setting-for-plusnet-mos... might help but set the connection type to Bridged

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dal1980
Hooked

Hmm.

Baring in mind that this previously was supplying an internet connection through fibre from TalkTalk (40Mbp/s connection)

I remember that the connection type was labelled at "VDSL" which I assume is what enables/makes it PTM mode.

After looking around through the router settings I noticed this on the connection mode tab:

"Connection type - By default your TalkTalk Router automatically determines the type of connection available."

This is maybe why it has reverted back to showing "ADSL" in the current connection type.

I'm not sure how this would determine the setting automatically and if I just hooked it up to plusnet would it detect the line (without needing to login to plusnet services) and set this back to VDSL? I've looked around the settings for a way to manually override this but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Any further thoughts on this?

PS: I've looked at even flashing this with an open sourced router flash but this particular model is simply not supported.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm afraid I've no practical experience of that particular router. Most routers will allow you to set the connection type but it is perfectly feasible for it to detect it. You certainly need to get it into VDSL(PTM) mode and if connecting it to the line does that then it maybe worth a try.

Just don't go connecting and disconnecting frequently otherwise the DLM will treat it as a dropping connection and possibly reduce your speeds.

Dal1980
Hooked

Cool, I jumped started the old TalkTalk with the RJ11 and after a few moments it recognised that it should be VDSL. I then went back to the options and found that all the junk options went missing and showed only the relevant ones. I've since updated my pfSense box with the PPPoE details and everything is now connected again.

Thanks so much.

Cheers

Dal

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're welcome, happy to be of help.