Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Screen - White text !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Blue Screen - White text !

Just to up date..... booted up normally this morning.....
(going out shortly, will do the sfc /scannow when I get back).  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Returned home.... booted up... normal.....
Just done the sfc /scannow    did not show anything ...
TORPC
Grafter

No integrity violations is a good thing Smiley
lets take a moment to recap (noooo, not asking for uploads to be recapped) Tongue Grin
CHKDSK /F /R came back clean  Wink
SFC /SCANNOW did not find any integrity violations  Wink
Have you got the famous free CCleaner to clear out any residue that builds up during daily use
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I use CCleaner ( almost ) every night just before I shut down.... also have FreeInternet Eraser... and use that as well... I do a Reg clean after uninstalling any progs, to get rid of surplus reg items, too...
This morning it booted normally,  and again when I came home at lunch time... it booted normally, too.. so maybe it is cleared up now...
( I have uninstalled MSE and re-installed Avast.... in doing so, Windows has re-instated Windows Defender )...
TORPC
Grafter

I am wondering since the removal of MSSE your issue(s) have disappeared (coincidence or not ??)
Fingers crossed it is all sorted Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah.... coincidence or what ! .. Thanks for the tutorial !... much appreciated.  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Open Advanced System Settings (Right click Computer, click Properties, click Advanced System Settings).
Select the Advanced tab then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure remove the check mark against Automatically Restart.
Everyone should do this; it's one of the Windows defaults that is just wrong.  Now, if you encounter a 'Blue Screen of Death' again, the text will stay on the screen you you can read what it says.  Depress the power button to switch-off the computer after you have done so.   
Thunderclap
Grafter

Also, you may have a BIOS setting that says HALT ON ALL ERRORS - This can turn a BSOD into an immediate restart! Set to no/false
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks... Booted up normally this morning... so looks like it is OK again.... Wink
dletter

I'm late to the party, but this may help others. I've used the following to examine the
minidumps created by Windows (XP & 7 don't know about Vista):
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
as you will see on the site, it will recreate the BSOD and list what processes were
running at the time.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shutter
Yeah, but....... if you get the BSOD.. it is already corrupted ? No???

Not really, it could just be a memory violation from a windows driver or something which another process depends on. Quite common if you program stuff to encounter this inyour own programs (invalid pointers, objects that have already been freed, etc) but when it's part of the system and something screwy does something it shouldn't at the wrong time then it screws over any other processes depending on it and the next thing you know windows throws a boo boo.
Got to be honest, in the 2.5 years we've had this Win7 PC, I don't ever recall a crash. There might have been one and possibly another time I forcefully restarted it via the power button but nothing major or often.
Think this box has been runnnig around 3 weeks now since the last restart..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!