cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best File Splitter to use? 7 Zip Splitter broken?

God
Grafter

Best File Splitter to use? 7 Zip Splitter broken?

I have decided to make use of Microsoft’s free 5gb on line storage ‘skydrive’. For some daft reason they have decided to limit the individual size of files to 50mb!
So I will zip my data and then use a file splitter / stitcher to make 50mb chunks.
My question is in two parts:
1. I use 7 zip and it appears to have a built in file splitter, however on a test file selecting 'split file' just brings up an ‘Operation is not supported’ dialogue box. Has anyone seen this before / know how to fix it?
2. There a loads of standalone file splitters I could use, can anyone recommend one that is better than others for any reason?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Best File Splitter to use? 7 Zip Splitter broken?

I use Winrar for that - it does have a pop up each time you use it asking you to buy (after the trial period) but otherwise works fine. I've not had a lot of experience with 7-zip, I tried it and didn't like the interface as much as winrar's to be honest.
Hope that helps,
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I'll also 2nd the winrar choice. Of all the software I've tried over the years, winrar has always been one of the best. No crashes, no errors, always opens zips that winzip fails with etc etc etc. It truly is the tank of file utility software.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure if it works like this but just had a thought - could you set 7-zip to create an archive, but to split that archive into files of size Xmb? I know that's how it works on winrar. Perhaps 7-zip can only split existing archives?
Just a couple of thoughts, hope they help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just tried creating a 7z archive where I entered 4096000 in the "Split to Volumes, bytes" box - it did exactly as I expected so I think you're doing something wrong!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

@Jelv
Ah I see! I was selecting an existing archive and then attempting to split it using the 'split file' option from the 7zip menu rather than 'Split to volumes' when creating one. I think that option should be greyed out if it isn't available. Cheers
@orbrey & okrzynska
Thanks folks I will take a look at winrar.  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just tried the split files option on a .7z file and it worked. I've figured out what you did wrong as well! You had the archive open.
What you need to do is in the 7z File Manager go up one level to display the contents of the directory containing the archive, select the archive file and then select to split the archive (from the file or right click menu). Enter the size you want each segment to be and away you go.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

Spot On!
Peace be with you Jelv.