cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Powerline Extender

bellevueace
Dabbler

BT Powerline Extender

Just a quick question even though everything is working fine I have just noticed that the ethernet light on the extenders is constantly flashing where as up to now they only flashed if I was watching BT TV or had set the box to record. As they only flash when data is being transferred why are they flashing when im not watching BT or when the box is switched off as surely there cant be constant data being sent or received, just curious, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: BT Powerline Extender

@bellevueace

Can't help with your actual question but if the flashing light annoys you have a search for "Light Dims" on Amazon.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

There have been many instances of neighbours also having these devices and accidentally connecting and using others bandwidth. I suggest that you go into the settings and change the password to see if that makes a difference.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bellevueace
Dabbler

Ok thanks, not being well up on this stuff how do i do that? When i set up the extenders i just followed the instructions but did not enter any password. Do you mean the BT ID password? Thanks.
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Password can be anything you like as long as each power line adapter has the same password.

Its used to encrypt the powerline communications and prevent any devices that don't have the password from joining your network. On the TP Link ones you have to download a utility from their website to set it, don't know if the BT ones are the same though.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@bellevueace

You haven't said which model of extender you have. It's possible that you can't change the code on the one you have. I understand that BT rely on the sheer number of different codes available to them.

Another thought, are you sure that it is the Ethernet light that's flashing? Again reading the manual the power light flashes if the device is sleeping. These are the conditions that you are describing.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bellevueace
Dabbler

I have the 500 flex adaptors, its defo the ethernet light consistently flashing. Going into the hub manager the unknown device showing up is the adaptors. As i have recordings set for the next week i dont know if that is contributing to constant data. Normally the light only flashes when accessing a bt channel. Everything works fine just wondering about constant data flow. Checked my usage and that has not increased so dont think anybody else has connected. Did speak to a plusnet rep who said it was suprising the light wasnt constantly flashing as tasks take place such as updates etc. Suppose if connection is fine i should leave it, just not knowing bugs me.