Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openreach ECI Modem Using OpenWRT Firmware Query

bigshorty40
Grafter

BT Openreach ECI Modem Using OpenWRT Firmware Query

Hi All

Hoping someone out there might be able to answer a quick query for me.

I was given an unlocked BT Openreach ECI modem that's running OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46559 firmware, and would like to use it on my Plusnet fibre connection, however I would prefer the ECI modem to handle my Plusnet PPPoE details rather than my router. Can any of you guys tell me if it is possible for the ECI modem to do this, and if so, how do I go about configuring the modem to make it work?

I'm not the most technically minded person, so if it can be done, I would appreciate it being explained to me in simple terms if possible.

I'd be very grateful for any help / advice on this. Many thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT Openreach ECI Modem Using OpenWRT Firmware Query

Login to the modem OpenWRT interface (never used it, so no idea what the IP address is required for it, but it's usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254) and search out the WAN settings panel. Input your Plusnet username and password.

It'll be yourusername@plusdsl.net and your password.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

These guys are very unassuming and have great wisdom and knowledge, they will put you straight.

If your lucky enough, you may even get a visit from one of them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Going by the first post in that thread, the default IP is 192.168.1.1. So yeah, login there and search out the WAN settings, set to PPPOE and input your Plusnet username and password.
bigshorty40
Grafter

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have tried your ideas before, but when I do there is no internet connection from the router. On the OpenWRT there are what is known as interfaces, one for WAN, one for LAN and one for WAN Bridge. When I put the PPPoE details into the WAN interface, there is no internet connection to the router, when I put the PPPoE details into the WAN Bridge interface the DSL light on the modem goes out, and there is no internet connection. I haven't tried to put the PPPoE details into the LAN interface as this is only really for monitoring line stats purposes and is configured via the ethernet adapter properties on the monitoring PC the modem is connected to.

However, I have an unlocked HG612 modem as well, and I have just managed to configure this, for the first time, to use PPPoE. The difference I noticed from the two modems is that the IP address of the ECI modem is 192.168.0.1, but for the HG612 it is 192.168.1.1. My routers IP address was 192.168.2.1, but for connecting the HG612 I changed the routers address to 192.168.1.2. Changing this has given me internet connection through my router, with using the HG612 modem handling the PPPoE details. I'm wondering if I changed the IP address of the ECI modem, so it is on the same network as the router, whether this would give me internet connection. I will try this out sometime soon. I have to say that the GUI of the unlocked HG612 is a lot easier to work with than the ECI one, but I'd prefer to use the ECI modem as my internet comes from an ECI cabinet and I heard that this can give better results.

I'll update this when I've tried the ECI on a different IP address and let you know if it works

BTW, I did post a thread on Kitz website a few days ago, but had no response yet.

Thanks again for the replies.