cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Import of pics not working ( NOW FIXED ! ! )

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Auto Import of pics not working

Thought that would be your reply LOL, I remember you just got a new HDD, I'm no use with registry entries but hopefully someone else Is?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Tried changing the (41) to (1) ...... didn`t make any difference...
just a thought.... should I reboot the laptop to make the change in the registry? or does it happen "immediately" without any other action  (save plugging in the device to see if it works?)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can I suggest an alternative Windows Live Photo Gallery as recommended here http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_photogallery.asp
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... my missus has this for her laptop... and having done a quick scroll down the page, you have given me another direction to see where the "Import pictures using Windows" is failing...
Because, that box (in the paragraph entitled.... "Image acquisition".... is the very box that I am missing... when I plug my camera in... so now I need to know where in the registry it is located, and the necessary corrections to the registry to fix it..
here is the layout and content of my "photo acquisition" folder...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Photo Acquisition\Camera
Default                                            REG_SZ                          (value not set)
Acquisition Flags                          REG_DWORD                0x00000029(41)
Filetemplateld                              REG-DWORD                0x00000000(0)
Foldertemplateld                          REG_DWORD              0x00000000(0)
Root Directory                                REG_SZ                          c:\users\digital camera downloads 2010

Is there likely to be another location for the "import pictures dialogue box"  ? ?

any offers?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If nothing happens when you insert the camera, perhaps the autoplay option has changed to "Take no action" with the "always" box ticked?  
This is what Windows 7 Help & Support says:
"The AutoPlay options only appeared the first time I plugged in a device or inserted a disc.
How can I find them again, so I can choose a different action?
To see the options one time, right-click the device or drive, and then click Open Autoplay.
If the device isn’t plugged in, hold down Shift and plug in the device. You can also hold down Shift while inserting a disc to see the list of options."

shutter
Community Veteran

That doesn`t work on Vista....
I have checked the "autoplay" options, several times.... Start > control panel > Autoplay then check the types of device and options... which previously I said I had set at "Import pictures using windows"...
I have changed, and changed back again, registry keys , iaw the linky previously provided, but the CD player still does not Autoplay when inserting a cd.... (neither does the "import pictures........" work when inserting the camera lead.,..
As a point of interest, I double checked the registry settings against my wife`s Vista and they are the same on both machines, (except the actual picture destination folder)...
something is wrong with the AUTOPLAY settings in the registry, or elsewhere, which need to be re-set......
so I am still back at square one...  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

has it worked on this new HDD? are the leads in correctly to the CD player?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

And you've worked your way through this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
Obviously you need to follow the instructions to enable rather than disable.
By the way, you managed to Export the entire registry to a single file but how would you get it back again?  Wouldn't importing just augment your current registry with the old values?  In it's normal form the registry is stored as multiple files.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Actually, if you really want a backup of your registry that you can use, look at the advice here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 .  This, in effect, tells you the files you need to make backup copies of.  AFAIK the technique still works for later versions of Windows than XP.
shutter
Community Veteran

ReedRichards.
Thanks for the input..... but unfortunately, the linky does not give the "enable" codes !....There is an "autofix enable" panel further down, which I did, but that has not fixed the problem.!...
(It did not say to re-boot the computer,.... UNTIL you "close" the little window which says it is fixed, and you have options to say how good it was etc)

UPDATE....... after a re-boot................... PROBLEM SOLVED...... Thanks guys... the thing that fixed it is on this page.....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
about halfway down, there are two "AUTOFIX" boxes..... one to disable the other to enable....
Thanks RR.. Wink