Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone understand Internet Radio ?

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Anyone understand Internet Radio ?

I listen to the Radio all day - mainly  BBC and Classic FM - I have no telly nor any desire for one !  Due to lack of signal from the FM transmitter, as I live in the countryside, and the lack of any DAB signal at all, the only solution is to use Internet radio on my Roberts Stream93i Radio which works fine - no complaints at all, until recently.

For the past few weeks, the Internet radio has been cutting out, with the message Network Timeout.  I have checked the WiFi signal and there is no problem there - I have deliberately played the Roberts Internet Radio simultaneously with Tune-in Radio on my Tablet.  Understandably, the output is not synch-ed as they are from different sources, but both use the same router and the same WiFi connection.  The Tune-in transmission on the Tablet is stable, but at certain times the Roberts Internet Radio cuts out - I am suspecting this may have something to do with peak times, especially between 8.00 and 9.00 in the morning.

I am assuming, but could be wromg, that this could be due to bandwidth from whomever provides the Internet Radio to the Roberts radio.  I have heard of a company called called Reciva which provides internet transmissions, but do not know if they provide it to Roberts.  How do I find out and is it possible to use an alternative internet radio source on the Roberts ?

If anyone has any ideas on the subject, I would be grateful to hear.

By the way, I have just bought an ethernet cable to connect the Roberts radio directly to the router to cut out the WiFi, but I am very doubtful that it will make any difference as the Tablet works without issue on Tune-in using the same WiFi connection.

6 REPLIES 6
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Anyone understand Internet Radio ?

I have a Cobra internet radio, works fine but is connected to my Hub6 with a ethernet cable, I note you have just done this so it will be interesting to see if that solves the problem.

Sorry I cannot answer the questions you ask.

Smiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

We have a BUSH internet radio in the kitchen, which a few weeks went silent on Internet
streamed pre sets, when tuned to a US Jazz station we favour,
and it has no ads/ no Brexit content too.
Other channels such as DAB/FM all performed fine.
Listening to same stations via my laptop, no change was needed.
I took the radio, closer to Router and then on Internet Radio heard a message saying I needed
to retune, because of some recent update.
When I retuned in, and saved my Favourite Stations, they all now work again.
Try the same on yours.
See; https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3768/~/bbc-internet-radio-stations-not-working
shermans
Pro

GEL Thanks for this. I suspect that you are correct. The problem was only mainly on BBC Radio 4 but I tried your recommendation and when I re-connected, I got a message reading "Connecting, please wait". I suspect that it was downloading an update because it took a while and then came back to life without my doing anything. All seems to be working at the moment but the test will be tomorrow morning between 8 and 9. Thanks and I will let you know what happens.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Internet radio streams are provided directly by the broadcaster (eg. BBC), but the stations lists are provided by 3rd parties such as Reciva and Frontier Silicon.

What is the model number of your Roberts internet radio?

A lot of very early Reciva based radios such as Roberts WM201, Logik IR100 manufactured over 10 years ago, used the very early Barracuda circuit boards made for Reciva, which suffered from poor lead-free soldering and were prone to failure.  Reciva has been in decline for the past decade.  I think very few if any new internet radios use Reciva technology.

Later Roberts radios such as 'Stream 83i' switched to using technology provided by Frontier Silicon.

If you own a Frontier Silicon based radio, there was a major change to their service about 3 weeks ago:

http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0

fyi,most but not all cheap radios made by 'Ocean Digital' and 'Majority Radio' and sold on Amazon use MediaU portal/directory.

https://www.mediayou.net/web/

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

@shermans  Oops. I failed to read you own a Stream 93i. This model uses Frontier Silicon technology.

If you haven't done so, make sure you have temporarily unplugged AC power from the 93i, otherwise, it may not pick up the changes introduced over 3 weeks ago, when you turn the radio back on. 

You should then manually search for your favourite stations and assign them to the memory preset buttons for reliable operation going forward.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
shermans
Pro

Hello bill888

Thanks for your help.  It is most appreciated.  Sorry not to have responded sooner but I was away for the wee-end.

i tried all your suggestions on the radio and was hopefully it would resolve the problem.  But sadly, it did not do so.  S this morning I called Roberts Radio directly and their technical people were most helpful.  After trying a number of things including re-booting the router, eventually he managed to ascertain that the radio had not automatically updated the software for over two years !  He could not understand why not, as the radio is supposed to provide warnings.  Anyway, he talked me through what to do, and after having to re-boot the router a second time to make it work, we eventually succeeded !

So again thanks for trying to help.  It got me onto the right track however.