cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got a Panasonic DVD recorder with Freeview ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone got a Panasonic DVD recorder with Freeview ?

I am looking to buy a second hand Panasonic DMR-EZ27 DVD recorder with Freeview, and have a question about it's operation.
According to the handbook for this device, during initial set-up, the operator is lead through a series of steps which include the configuration of an "Owner ID" PIN code and some other related personal information.
According to the handbook it says -
Owner ID
In order to prevent another person from using this unit if it is
stolen, you can set a PIN number and input your personal
information.
Once the PIN number has been set, you cannot return to the
factory preset. Make sure not to forget this.
 -  PIN number
 -  Name
 -  House No.
 -  Postcode

Having had a good look through the handbook I can't find anywhere the user is prompted for the "Owner ID" PIN code to allow access to perform any restricted configuration operations.
So I am somewhat confused as to what the "Owner ID" PIN actually does !
I can see that it might prevent unauthorised changes to the owner name and address settings - which might be useful to the Police in tracing the original owner if stolen,
but I don't see how (if that is all it does) it is "in order to prevent another person from using this unit if it is stolen" as the handbook says.
Unfortunately when buying second hand, I am finding that everyone has forgotten their "Owner ID" PIN, because it was set-up in the excitement of having a new machine and not used since the machine was installed.
This is made worse that having some time Googling this, it would appear that even Panasonic repair shops are unable to reset the code without replacing a circuit board !
So my question comes down to - if I buy an otherwise working machine second hand and the "Owner ID" code is either unknown or wrong, then is there any functionality that I will be blocked from accessing - other than having a machine with somebody else's name and address being displayed ?
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone got a Panasonic DVD recorder with Freeview ?

This "Owner ID" seems to be a common feature on other similar Panasonic machines,  somebody must have one Huh
Ransomefan
Grafter

I have the instructions to 4 Panasonic VCR/DVD recorders (last 7 years ).  The nearest I have to yours is a DMR-EX95VEBS which  has freeview. The inst. do not give any advice on why you should set the Owner id, only that you cannot change it without the Pin. I also have a 30EBNV-VP same comments. In the TX14GV1 it does state ......help police to determine owner.  In the NV-FJ610B just as the first two.  I have set the owner id in all machines. They have been set up in different locations with different TVs and but never had cause to re-enter the Owner ID and no functionality  has ever been impaired.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 'Ransomefan', that has been VERY helpful.    Cool
As you have tried the machines in different locations, did you notice whether the POSTCODE set in the "Owner ID" had any influence on the information displayed on the EPG (Electronic Program Guide).
I read on another forum that some Panasonic Freeview machines have regionalised EPG information and area targeted adverts, based on a user configured postcode.
Apparently on some Panasonic's there is (in addition to the "Owner ID" postcode) a separate postcode setting in the receiver configuration for this purpose,
but It wasn't clear on machines that don't have the second postcode whether they use the "Owner ID" postcode for EPG, or if the machine just uses the EPG from the region that the TV transmitter is based in !
Any thoughts ?
Ransomefan
Grafter

The different locations were in the same TV area so did not know.  However I went to my Freeview Panasonic and firstly found that I had not set up owner ID Embarrassed but have always had the right regional EPG.  I then set up my owner Id and checked EPG -still OK then changed it to a post code in Norfolk  and I still received the correct EPG for Cornwall where I live.