Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android email app - download headers only

FIXED
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 51

Android email app - download headers only

Apologies for another basic question but I am just getting to grips with my new android smartphone

As I am on a PAYG tariff I want to limit data usage. As such I would like to download only the email headers and then only download the email and attachments if I decide I want to.

I haven't managed to find an App which gives this option and is this available using POP and IMAP

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 33

Re: Android email app - download headers only

Fix

I use K9 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en_GB it has a setting to set the size of message to fetch . The minimum is 32kb though , but it will stop downloading attachments and large emails

Community Veteran

That is one option and this seems to cover it

Fetch messages up to

Set a limit on how much of a message is downloaded during synchronization. When viewing messages larger than this value you will see a button saying Download complete message that allows you to download the rest of the message.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

+1 for K-9 Mail.

Community Veteran

K-9 installed and setup (at the second attempt as I screwed up the original settings) and seems to work just fine

Fixes: 99

I have been using K-9 for some time. Excellent app although I do find deleting emails long-winded having to go into each account separately and enter the relevant inbox then select an email then press the menu to Select All then delete then go to the Trash folder and do the same. Only have 4 accounts but maybe I am missing a simpler methodUndecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Oldjim wrote:

As I am on a PAYG tariff I want to limit data usage. ...

I'm also on PAYG (3-2-1 from Three) so most of the time I have my Mobile Data turned off, and it's only turned on when there's no WiFi connectivity available.  Mind you, I try to remember to turn the WiFi off too when it's not needed to prevent the battery draining quicker than necessary.  Wink

Community Veteran

I use a different system

I have background downloading when not on wifi blocked and then I only download when I want to