Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Akamai Netsession Client

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Akamai Netsession Client

Or just run Windows Update from the Start menu and do it then and there.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: penneck

In normal mode, I get the background (green hill with blue sky) but no icons.

I have this symptom too. I believe it to be the result of malware called 'Luhe.LockScreen.A'
My regular scan by AVG Free identified one image of this threat and removed it, but I found several more versions of it lurking, mostly pretending to be gaming modules.
I have used Malwarebytes and other things to get rid of all the nasties I can find, and cleaned up my System Startup. but unfortunately I seem to still have the damage to the Desktop display.
I am still working on my problem. I have a thread ongoing about it on this board.....
Best wishes
Chris
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Lots of Malware does this.  The way I have seen it happen is by corrupting an Explorer registry entry by adding a 'debugger' which is the virus.  A virus scanner then removes the actual file but does not correct the registry entry so Explorer (which is responsible for the desktop icons, start button etc.) does not start.
A quick search found this link which gives an outline explanation of how this is done. http://www.rarst.net/software/image-file-execution-options/
penneck
Aspiring Pro

ejs - how do I get Windows Update to run from Start?
I've managed to get to the point wher I seem to have SP3 and IE8 loaded and working. I am now trying to get my e-mails working, using Mailwasher Pro and Thunderbird. Mailwasher seems to have installed and been set up correctly, but Thunderbird is causing a few problems. I want two e-mail accounts, and although I have set them both up in Mailwasher and Thunderbird, Thunderbird (a) only shows one account, and (b) fails to connect to the ISP - it seems to be complaining about my password. How can I find out what my e-mail password should be?
penneck
Aspiring Pro

An update to the post I sent a short while ago:-
1. The updates are coming in as fast as they can now. I have just had a download of 135 of them which I have installed, and I need to reboot;
2. Thunderbird is sort of working, I have one account working, but two problems:-
a. The top of the Thunderbird window doesn't show the drop-down menus File, Tools, etc, which are shown in the Tutorial I have been looking at;
b. The second e-mail account (the one for dealing with Postmaster e-mails) fails when it tries to test the username and password. I wouldn't have thought the password was at fault, so what am I doing wrong with the username?
Thanks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

There's a modern fashion to hide away all the useful controls.  You probably need to turn on the 'menus' toolbar or some such.  Try right clicking in a blank bit of the top near where the items should be.  But I'm only guessing.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Correct ReedRichards. That solved 2a.
Now, any suggestions as to what the problem is with the Postmaster account?
Thanks very much
ChrisL
Rising Star

If your postmaster@ email is the default, then the username and password should be the ones you use to log on to the Plusnet Members' Centre?
Best wishes
Chris
penneck
Aspiring Pro

To set up the postmaster@ account on Thunderbird I used the PlusNet username. For the account that works now, I used the PlusNet usename + my first name, and the PlusNet password for both. Mailwasher uses them without problem. I know because Mailwasher lists e-mails for me  addressed to both postmaster and to my first name so quite what the problem is with Thunderbird is anybodies guess
Two other differences I have noticed between the Thunderbird setup I had before I had to rebuild my pc, and what I have now:-
1. The old setup wouldn't collect the incoming mail until I told it to get them. Now it collects them as soon as I open Thunderbird;
2. When I did tell it to get the incoming, it would get them, then delete them from wherever they were being stored. Now it doesn't delete them. I assume I will have to go into Mailwasher and delete them there - I haven't done that yet just in case
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just out of interest pressing the 'Alt' key usually brings down 'File Edit Tools' toolbar.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ChrisL
Rising Star

Hi penneck
Can I suggest you post on the Email Forum Board? You're more likely to get help with your ongoing problem there.
Have you had a look at Manage My Mail (in the Members' Centre)?  You can set to leave messages on the server after download, or to have them deleted. Other problems you're having might be easily sorted there, too?
Best wishes
Chris
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Will do. This thread does seem to have wandered a long way from its original subject
Thanks to all for your help