Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Mobile Phone signal monitoring

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

4G Mobile Phone signal monitoring

Been searching for a "similar" program/app/software package to ROUTERSTATS. that will give me a constant graphical output on the screen, of how my 4G router is performing connected to the THREE mobile network.

I have VNSTAT running, but, as I understand it, that is only monitoring MY LAPTOP wifi traffic, and not the actual 4G signal traffic.

I have a internet page open  ( to a server in the USA ) all the time that I am connected,  from morning to night  that seems to show several disconnections/re-connections.  I run another program parallel to this, that I use on that server, but that part of the program does not show any disconnections

When I was running same prgms on the ADSL landline internet connection and running Routerstats, If the signal on the line was very noisy, and dropped out, then both parts would show a disconnection, and eventually a re-connection.  ( and, of course, the graphical display would show the noisy graph line, and the drop out )_

What I am looking for , is a similar type program/app/software to monitor the 4G signal, upload and download.

Running on Linux Mint 20.3 Mate edition... all fully up to date. 

But also able to run windows programs/software with WINE 7.0 installed.  so maybe a windows type might work.

Any suggestions to try them out , will be much appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4G Mobile Phone signal monitoring

Fix

Something that you might not have considered as a solution,

If your 4G router is capable of supporting DDNS, then you could setup a ThinkBroadband Broadband Quality Monitor  which would give you a continuous latency chart as an indication of connection quality, and show any periods of disconnection, without the need to have a computer running (other than the 4G router)

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous Thanks very much for the input... have viewd the DDNS video, kinda got the gist of what it was about.

checked out the other linky to TBB also.

Router is ...... TP link TL-MR6500v telephony .... only had it a few days, and it`s kinda "plug and play" with me, and it works as I expected it to...  just plugged it all up, inserted the SIM card and away we go.

Will send you a PM.

cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

Router is ...... TP link TL-MR6500v telephony

According to this - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-4g-router/tl-mr6500v/#specifications 

The router can do DDNS, DynDNS, etc

and the FAQ section got me to this - How to configure Dynamic DNS of TP-Link Wireless N 4G LTE Router 

I'm still looking in the handbook  how to get the router to reply to remote ICMP/ping requests ... ... ...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Anonymous 

I think you'll find it in Advanced >System Tools >Administration

Dan

Edit :- https://emulator.tp-link.com/TL-MR6500vV1/index.htm

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter  it might be worth figuring out what the 4G WAN IP address of the router is, and seeing if you can get a reply to a ping request sent from your Plusnet connection ?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  & @Dan_the_Van  Thanks very much for the input.... have sent a PM to Nibiru... will copy it over to Dan.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

@Anonymous 

I think you'll find it in Advanced >System Tools >Administration

Dan

Edit :- https://emulator.tp-link.com/TL-MR6500vV1/index.htm

Perfect !  Thanks

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 19-01-47 TL-MR6500v.png

shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE to this thread.

I have given "This fixed my problem" to @Anonymous   regarding the TBB monitor link.

However, for my current situation, it did not actually work for me...because the SMARTY sim does not use a fixed/static I.P. address.

after a lot of PM`s between us, and also @Dan_the_Van   the solving of my problem will only take place when I change my SIM only deal from SMARTY to one that does support fixed/static I.P. addresss

Currently looking at ID mobile,... ( also runs on the THREE network )  or possibly THREE depending on which provides a decent SIM only deal at the end of this month.

Thanks to both @Anonymous & @Dan_the_Van  for your help and input on this.

cheers WinkWink

shutter
Community Veteran

And FINALLY !..  For any readers still reading this thread... !

Well, the original problem has been solved by installing and using a VPN called PROTON.  FREE to use, and unlimited data . . Stopped  the many changes of the IP address, which caused the problem.  and added security to the network !

Smiley

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Going by the old saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch" I guess something will be missing from that VPN offering.

You've got 'free' and 'unlimited' so I guess what might be missing is most likely 'fast'.  Perhaps you don't have a need for it, but I suspect there will be limitations on speed, perhaps only at peak times if you're lucky, but somethings gotta give otherwise there would be no need for paying customers there or elsewhere.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN 

Obviously, you have never even read anything about PROTON VPN...  

if you had, you would not post such drivel.

For your benefit, and for the benefit of others, I suggest you read up on this page.

https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn/

Where you will see.... quite clearly .....

Protect your privacy with a free VPN-

Our mission is to provide private and secure Internet access to all. Proton VPN is used by activists and journalists all around the world. Our free plan is the only one that:

• Has no data or speed limits
  •  
  • Has no advertisements
  •  
  • Does not log your online activity
  •  
  • Is protected by Swiss privacy laws

Why we offer a free VPN

We believe online privacy is a fundamental human right. Providing free access is part of our mission.

The Proton VPN free plan is unlimited

and designed for security

No catches, no gimmicks.

Just online privacy and freedom for those who need it.

this thread is now closed..

any further response will be considered as trolling .

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Sorry to disappoint you @shutter , but the thread's not closed (yet).

You really shouldn't have used such large type for your tantrum, now all the people around the world who pay for a VPN will see it and realise (think) they no longer need to fork out their hard-earned cash for something they can get FoC.

Yes, I, along with most people, realise VPNs generally are intended to be secure, which is why most people use them, so no real need for you to shout about it as if you're letting the whole world know something new.

You're right, I'd never read anything about Proton VPN but I have now, and the first thing that struck me was that they don't spell their name in capital letters, but as for me writing drivel (I'll leave that to you thanks), whether you believe it or not, there really is some truth to the "No such thing as a free lunch" adage.

Quoted from their own support pages (my bold);

"Because Proton VPN is a no-logs VPN service, we do not monitor or track user activity. Therefore, we have no bandwidth limits or bandwidth throttles, even for free users. However, speeds differ between Free and paid plans due to varying server loads. Because we offer a limited number of free servers, those servers tend to have many more users on them, which leads to lower performance."

So what were you saying about speed?  Roll_eyes

I rest my case.

I'm fairly sure there will be comments about speed on the free plan if you'd care to trawl for reviews (I can't be bothered).

I agree that Proton VPN appears to be very good for a free service, but with the caveat that it's not necessarily fast all the time, so maybe not everyone's cup of tea.  Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

Actually, you have not disappointed me..... you have remained "true to form".   Cheesy

You always crawl out from under the bridge, where you seem to spend all of your time, until I post a thread, or comment, then suddenly, out of the woodwork, from the said bridge, you appear.

There was no need for you to comment on my post about how the original problem was solved,  by using a certain VPN.

You did not disappoint me when you admitted you had never heard of, or even researched, and read, about the VPN.

You did not disappoint me by finally agreeing with me in your last sentence. Smiley

( after being caught out, not doing your research before posting the drivel) CheesyGrinCheesy

"I agree that Proton VPN appears to be very good for a free service, but with the caveat that it's not necessarily fast all the time, so maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

Proving, that your original drivel ( and subsequent drivel ) was totally unnecessary.

By the way.... your "caveat" was also totally unnecessary, also, as anyone who would be interested in the VPN would do their own research...

.....as you should have done,.... before posting the drivel in the first place  Roll_eyes

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Pathetic!