cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20mp camera - why is image size only 1.4mb?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

20mp camera - why is image size only 1.4mb?

I have a 20mp bridge camera and take pictures on the maximum resolution setting. We wanted a canvas print for the wall,

I downloaded the photo to the site and commissioned the print.

When it arrived, the five people on the sofa looked like blancmanges. I went back and checked the pictures and was surprised to find the image sizes are all between 1mb and 5mb.

Call me stupid but I thought having a larger resolution camera would result pictures that would enlarge without too much distortion.

Anyone explain why this is not so?

8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: 20mp camera - why is image size only 1.4mb?

Did the site reduce the image size by leaving most of the pixels out?

Online storage sites almost always do this.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could it be that you gave them the compressed image and not the raw version of it? A 20MP camera should have an image file size of about 6MB and a raw file size 10 times that. 

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The actual image on the laptop (downloaded directly from camera to laptop via cable) is only 1mp-2mp. I don't compress anything (I don't know how to).
It's somewhat frustrating.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you looked at the camera compression settings as that is likely where the problem lies

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well without wanting to sound obtuse the camera's manual is really where you need to start and from it you'll be able check the compression settings as suggested by Oldjim. It may be that the default values are for general photography so as not to use up all the space on the memory card.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sometimes there is an option in the settings to save as "raw".

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If your camera is like mine, the "image" parameters can be changed in the menu. Usually, the image can be set to different aspect ratio/pixel count pairs (3:2, 4:3  and large, medium, small etc) which determines the base and additionally a compression setting (fine, normal etc). Worst case is a setting like "small, normal" (the default with my camera Sad ) which would give a file size you have, my usual setting of 3:2/large/fine gives 6MB files on a 16Mpx camera.

Many (most? - all in my price range) bridge cameras do not have a "raw" setting, which would probably require post processing before uploading to print.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just choose maximum (or whatever). Storage is cheap.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."