Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12volt B&Q cheapy drill batteries

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

12volt B&Q cheapy drill batteries

I bought a cheapo B&Q cordless drill a couple of years ago,... and the batteries in the battery pack are not holding charge .... I have just drilled four holes in two pieces of wood, about half inch thick... and the drill is all but useless now....
Yeah I know...ya get what you paid for.... and I knew when I bought it , that they did not do a replacement power pack...
easy to open it up, though , as they conveniently made it with 6 phillips head self tap type screws.... once opened you can remove the 10 X 1.2 volt 1200mah Ni-Cd batteries.
(see pic )...
question is... for this forum.... who is the best supplier of similar type batteries that you know of... so I can buy a new set and solder them together to make up a new power pack...
Did think about Ebay... but so many "duff" battery sellers.... as in "duff batteries"    and "duff sellers".... that I though I would call upon the residents of this forum to speak up and point me in the right direction of something a bit more reliable... both in value for money.. ( cheap ).... and in longevity of service ...
I would probably buy  a larger capacity battery say 2400 as opposed to orginal 1200 `s...  depending on the price...
22 REPLIES 22
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 12volt B&Q cheapy drill batteries

The first question is whether they are a standard physical size
shutter
Community Veteran

Good point, Jim...... they are slightly smaller in diameter and length.... than the "standard" C or R14 size battery.... ...... just checked and where the two on the top connect via the plastice "tongue" into the handle of the drill... the C or R14 battery will NOT fit into that "tongue"...
However,.... I could.... use 8 of the C or R14 batteries... and pick the best two out of the remainder for the "tongue" batteries.... as there is plenty of room inside the "foot" of the power pack...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you can jury rig something I would suggest something like Sanyo Eneloop as they hold their charge for a long time when not in use
I would look at wiring in a new connector rather than mixing batteries
karencharltonuk
Grafter

The cost of decent c type rechargeable batteries might be high though.  You may be better off buying a new cheap drill Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes,..... just been "a-googling"... and the cost of a set of 10 "subC " batteries would be about £25.00    and Screwfix have a " trade rated" 1.5aH cordless drill with TWO batteries for just under £30 ... so I think that is what I shall do.... save a lot of hassle... messing around with the soldering iron....
sometimes the brain just does not seem to think in straight lines !....
Thanks guys  ( and gal )...  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I bought a cheap Li-Ion drill from Lidl's (Parkside PABSW 10.8 - one of their specials). It's been excellent and holds a good charge for absolutely ages.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

Just my luck...... Screw Fix... have no stock.... !...  Cry
Ok... so I`ll go around the corner... ( almost ) to B&Q...... check the website... and they have a "similar" one to what I bought... for £14.95..... except.... They are out of stock... Cry

.the nearest would be on the isle of wight.... but they have "low stock"... so by the time I got over there... add in the ferry and car parking... hardly worth the effort ! ! ...  Cry Cry
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As you're talking batteries..................
I have an 18 volt power tool battery but no charger for it.
The nearest charger I have, from another power tool, outputs 15 volts 2.5 amps.
Would there be any major problem if I jury rig that charger to the 18 volt battery?
PowerLee
Pro

A 15 volt output charger will not fully charge an 18 volt rechargeable battery.
I wouldn't recommend mixing incompatible rechargeable batteries & chargers.
dick:quote
shutter
Community Veteran

Dunno...... OldJim may know the answer to that...

Since my last post about Screwfix being out of stock of a "cheap end" cordless drill.... I investigated. other suppliers..... Tesco..... Asda..... Argos... Wilko.... B & Q.   ALL out of stock... !... the only place left for me was a chance google on "Toolstation"  ..... which just "came into my head"... from nowhere, really... and it appears they have one for just over £22  which I shall , hopefully , go and get tomorrow.... can`t check the online stock unless I order it... so will take my chances at the counter ..... !..
billnotben
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
A 15 volt output charger will not fully charge an 18 volt rechargeable battery.

I suspect that is the case as voltage is the pressure which would explain that chargers are normally a higher voltage than the batteries they are charging.
HPsauce
Pro

I bought a set of such batteries online fairly recently for my drill. They were the "tagged" sort so soldering was not "that" difficult.
I'll look up the supplier shortly......  Wink
Here: http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/ they sell various "packs" to suit. I needed a 12-pack for a 14.4V unit.
This is the type I got as it needed NiCd: http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Sub_C_2000mAh_NiCd_Tagged_battery.html
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks HPsauce....
Having looked at the cost of those batteries.. ( see previous post )... I decided on buying a new drill... and this is the one I got...

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tools/d40/12v+Drills/sd2769/Silverline12V+Drill+Driver/p83183
so for the same price as the batteries.. I have a complete new drill.... !..
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Max drilling capacity: steel 8mm, wood 20mm

I suspect that you won't be drilling hundreds of holes on a single charge!  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."