cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virus checker

goldfinch20

virus checker

I have recently moved to plusnet from Tesco, the migration went well but I was disappointed to find that the virus checker only covered e-mails so I feel the advert was misleading on this point. Many  ISPs provide a free virus checker as part of their service while others make a small monthly charge( Tesco charged 50p a month)  I think it would be a very good idea if Plusnet did something similar. 
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: virus checker

There are plenty of good free virus checkers available, such as Avast, Avira, AVG etc
Have you had a look at these?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
God
Grafter

Or try Kaspersky, it is excellent and you can get cheap LEGAL licences on ebay.
goldfinch20

Thanks folks , I will try that
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: God
Or try Kaspersky, it is excellent and you can get cheap LEGAL licences on ebay.
Be very very careful. There have been a lot of cases where the license was blocked as it was pirated
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=85597&hl=ebay
mal0z
Grafter

I'm not disputing Kaspersky is a good product, but I'm just suspicious as it eminates from Russia - and we are told lots of Spam also originates there.
Maybe I'm just too suspicious
Oldjim
Resting Legend

mal0z
Grafter

I don't  Smiley
I use a Finnish one F-Secure -
it works well, is very unobtusive, updates every two hours..........
Oldjim
Resting Legend

F-Secure has fairly poor results on probably the most trusted test site http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Look at the last two tests
proactive test - unclassified (note that with KIS 2009 and Symantec latest version they would both get over 40% so would be graded advanced)
on demand test - 10th
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I've used a variety over the years, Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee, AVG and found that best two I've had were Norton (Symantec) and Kaspersky
McAfee just bloated my system memory badly and slowed it down to a near halt.
AVG was ok, but the Heuristics it uses isn't great.  is ok for a freebie (You get what you pay for!)
Norton I'm using with both my Vista systems (Norton Internet Security 2009), no slowdowns, is secure (fully intrusion tested) and has picked up all the bad stuff thus far..Plus it has license for 3 machine.
The only reason I stopped using Kaspersky at the time was that it wasn't vista compatable plus I didn't see the need to pay for 2 separate licences for 2 different products.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

If you're a Barclays customer, they are currently offering a 3 PC version of Kaspersky for free!  Guess what I use?
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

goldfinch20

Thanks Adiewoo
I have just installed the home version of AVAST and it seems to work fine .
It found six illicit dialers and four trojans on its first run , and thats after using f-secure for about three years.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

All these anti-virus products are only of interest Windows users - please don't waste my money on them.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm intrigued - how many people have access to your money, that they could buy you unnecessary software without you knowing?