cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestion to PN for user connection stats

amcclean
Rising Star

suggestion to PN for user connection stats

Having recently had an ongoing fault on my bb,  my ticket was updated  on a number of occasions with Pns  own line stats showing connections and disconnections
Would it be possible for a link to be provided in the user account section which could generate this graphical representation for users to check if they are experiencing problems. It could either be a standard feature or one that is just turned on and usable to users if they have a fault under investigation. Having access would mean users could monitor their problematic lines more closely and be able to tell of connection issues and times without having to wait for ticket updates to be supplied. Eu's may then be more able help tie down the causative factors if they can tell exactly when the connections and disconnections occurred and help cut down resoloution times because EU's are not having to wait on PN faults team to update tickets.
Podman
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: suggestion to PN for user connection stats

Great idea, and I would find those stats to be VERY useful  Smiley
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I second that idea.  It will be cheers all round if implemented.  Smiley
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Excellent idea.  I suggest you add it to the Plusnet Usergroup Issue Tracker (if it's not already on there):
http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/
amcclean
Rising Star

just added.
thought the user groups were defunct with the community site having taken over. good to see them still working.
podman
WWWombat
Grafter

This is such a good idea, that I've been doing my own version for years.
I use cacti as a stats-gathering webapp, running on a Linux server, which gathers info every 5 minutes and stores the data in some RRD databases. I wrote a script for it, that interrogates the router, and pulls down the line stats and the current WAN connection time; whenever the latter resets to zero, I know there was a new connection.
If anyone wants to try this, let me know...
Unfortunately, I'm going to lose a lot of this data tomorrow, when the fibre connection goes in. I'll be back to a BT-supplied, user-barred, uncontrollable piece of kit. I'm sure the router will provide something, but not everything.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see this morning that this idea has been added to the PlusNet UserGroup Issue Tracker
now we just need everyone to vote -
http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=439
to get it implemented.  Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's not a bad suggestion, there are a few things we need to consider this side but I'll certainly make the suggestion.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

This has come up a few times in the past (I've certainly discussed it with James). If nothing else it would give those of us that give advice on here something else to ask for which would give us a better picture of what was happening.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Yep, would certainly be handy.
amcclean
Rising Star

Glad to it is getting support. Thanks to spraxyt for sorting out the vote in PN Usergroup.
Podman
James
Grafter

I'll see if I can get this picked up in a little mini-project I'm doing at the moment.
I can't make any promises, but I'll work with Chris and see if there's anything we can do.
amcclean
Rising Star

HI James,
any word on including the connection stats in the user area yet?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's something that I'm looking at getting into a project, I can't make any promises or timescales at the moment as we haven't even considered any potential extra load on the RADIUS servers.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

It's the kind of thing the BT Group appear to regard as one of Plusnet's attractions -
[quote=BT Group Annual Report 2011]The Plusnet brand continued to grow, with 31% of the Plusnet customer base now taking voice and broadband services together. Plusnet’s success has been driven by a combination of competitively priced packages, self-care tools for customers, referral discounts and a national marketing campaign.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)