Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed,slow to none response.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: slow speed,slow to none response.

@dabba If you look at my Signature below in this post you will see some text namely "Which Gateway am I on".
If you click that it will open a page telling you which Gateway you are currently connected to.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dabba
Grafter

Thanks Strat  found it  Juniper 6" North.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Ok. The bit that's normally quoted in discussions is the bit I have made bold below.
In my case it's
You are currently connected to the "City Lifeline, Juniper 10" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag03.

and this is the bit you would look for in the Graph Titles in the second of my links http://portal.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml to see if your gateway is particularly busy.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi dabba,
To answer the other questions, yes leave the modem/router on 24/7. You are not close enough to the exchange and your line seems to have been too troublesome to have the luxury of switching on&off when you wish, if you want the optimum speeds from your line. That last sync speed (DSL Connection Rate) 4992 is the best for a while, so you want to hang on to it.
If you can post your modem/router ADSL line stats, this will be more informative about line conditions than speedtest results. Once/if your line is stable your profile will rise (a reminder it can take 3/5 days) then throughput speeds will improve.
I presume you are still connected to the Test socket where all the extension wiring & sockets are dead (which they should be). If at some point you want to return to a more normal setup, you'll need to look at this internal wiring. If so & when you have time could you look at the wires connected to the back of the faceplate you've unplugged at the master socket, hopefully there will be one cable with single wires connected to the terminals.
You should find a Blue+white trace on terminal 2 and a White+blue trace on terminal 5. You may also find an Orange-white and White-orange on terminals 3 & 4. If you unscrew your extension sockets from their boxes you should find identical colour wires connected to them. You should find two cables at the first extension socket (don't know how many you have), and so on until you get to the last one which should have one cable.
On the back of the extensions you hopefully will NOT find a yellow "sausage-shaped" capacitor on any of them.
dabba
Grafter

Just an update my connection has been much improved recently! but on checking today the speed has dropped a fair bit, everthing still the same ie connected to test socket and left on so I'm not sure what's happening speed test results 2pm today below, dabba.
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1365 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1365 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5536 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps 
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We've not recieved the lower profile update yet, so looks like a recent low resync has caused your profile to drop.
If your sync speed remains as it is you should see the speed return.
dabba
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, still waiting for an improvement but it has been worse, it seems when things slow down and rates change unless you shout up the slow speed continues? my exchange is unbundled would I benefit from taking this option?
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1391 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1391 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5536 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps