cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow, slow... slow, slow, slow

granthampie

slow, slow... slow, slow, slow

Dear god, I've made the biggest mistake of my life moving broadband provider to Plusnet from Virgin Media. If I'd realised it was BT before I'd signed up, I would never have done it.
Since signing up in August my broadband speed has halved... I'm lucky to get 0.48Mbs (via ethernet!!!) on a service that told me that it would be between 1.5Mbs and 2.5Mbs. I've completely given up on my wireless network it's so bad (0.30Mbs!!) . I've run every known speed test known to man, including BT's (yours!) and they all show the same results.
I know its a rural location and I don't expect lightening speeds but come on.... I used to get better service on a 56Kbs dial up modem. If things don't improve and soon, I'm going to Ofcom.
Roll on August and I can kick this waste of money service into touch.... good honest broadband from Yorkshire and slower than your pigeons and whippets.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: slow, slow... slow, slow, slow

Hi there,
I've taken a look at your account and can see that you started the faults checker a couple of times but haven't completed it, until it's complete there isn't anything our faults team can do to investigate. I'd suggest going through the tips here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_tips.shtml and raising a fault to us here: http://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
granthampie

I think insinuating that I'm likely to be charged if your engineer finds a fault with the router has a little to do with it.
you supplied the router, I now own that router and am therefore responsible for it... apparently, "they can go wrong at anytime"... great, another little "get out of jail" card from Plusnet.
so, my two options now are:
1) go out and buy another router @ £100? and if the broadband speed is still slow... a complete and utter waste of money?
2) be confident in that fact that its your service and not my (your) router and take a chance that I could be charged a shedload of money if the engineer finds otherwise?

actually, there's another option... put up with your diabolical service for another 7 months and kick you into touch at the end of it.... hmmm... tempting
granthampie

a little post note on my service today.... I am now down to between 578B and 15KBs.... yes thats Bites!
blistering!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Clearly there is a fault somewhere and to get that investigated requires a fault report to be submitted using the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net/, The troubleshooter requires certain steps to be completed to eliminate any problems on your side of the master/test socket leaving a line or exchange fault as the cause.
One of the troubleshooting checks is to try another router, but if you don't have one to try just say so and carry on to completion. Don't worry if that says "no fault found", that's all it means not that there isn't a fault that more detailed tests will uncover.
If those more detailed tests suggest a router fault is the likely cause of the problem the faults team should offer to lend you a test router if you ask them to. In any case an engineer will not be sent without you supplying suitable appointment dates and times. So I'd urge you to press on with completing a fault report through that link.
David
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Granthampie,
If you revisit http://faults.plus.net and finish following through the questions there we'll be able to investigate this for you, as spraxyt says above. Please let us know when that's done and we'll give it a kick for you.