cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slightly concerned about peak times.

Blim
Grafter

slightly concerned about peak times.

It was so nice to upgrade from adsl2+ to FTTC (before unlimited) because my connection could be used and I could still play my games online and maintaining consistently low latency. It has come to my attention that recently at peak times my connection is becoming more unstable at progressively lower speeds. So what would be easy for my connection to handle is slowly becoming a problem. An even simpler way to put it, Im starting to see latency spike under conditions originally would have had no significant impact.
At times I see a speed reductions along with latency spike to prove its not just the server I'm downloading from and this is with the pro addon.
PS. Not being able to download from say steam at my full speed sort of renders having a upto 80mbps connection useless especially when you see spikes as you hit your throttled limit of around 25-40mbps.
Thanks for taking the time to read this feedback.
Luke.
65 REPLIES 65
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: slightly concerned about peak times.

Hi, I can see you've got a fault raised on this but I can see why you've posted here as well - thanks for the feedback. Is this only happening at certain times of day, for example in the evenings?
Blim
Grafter

Well that's what I'm becoming mainly concerned about. Before the peak time latency problems you guys have been dealing with, It would only occur at those peak times but it would seem that I'm starting to see slowdowns more often in other times of day. I don't see any slowdowns/latency spikes at say 4am thou.
By using the speed limiting function on my Bigfoot 2100 network card I'm able to see the stability (latency)  at different speeds (limiting the individual downloads not just my PC's overall connection, so not to corrupt the test outcome).
Edit: by tackling peak time capacity demands should prevent out of peak time problems too.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We've plenty of capacity though right now, so it's not that.  Let's see what the fault throws up.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Blim
Grafter

Yeah I'm sorry its just the conclusion I came to from my observations. Its just that I didn't expect to encounter these problems with the pro addon. Maybe that's something to look into by its self.
Kelly
Hero

If you spot any patterns let us know.  I.e. one gateway always slow and the others not.
Kelly Dorset
Blim
Grafter

Isn't that inevitable? when one gateway is under more or less load than another its going to apply throttling accordingly to prevent problems. I always see different speeds depending on the gateway when downloading from Steam's download servers.
Kelly
Hero

If the gateway is overloaded yes.  But they aren't 😕
Kelly Dorset
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well a couple of days ago I was getting about 40% speed on my line, switched gateways and back to normal, that sounds like overloaded gw to me.
I noticed as it was having issues holding a 128K audio stream (via ethernet) kept buffering/dropping.
Kelly
Hero

what day, what gateway, what time?  (If you can remember Smiley )
Kelly Dorset
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Kelly , what as the problem with gateway pcl-ag03 last night, is it related to the ongoing problem (Peak time latency ) ?
As per my post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.msg961700.html#msg961700
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero

I think that is similar to what Blim was seeing, and not related to the latency spikes.  We are still looking.
Kelly Dorset
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Kelly
what day, what gateway, what time?  (If you can remember Smiley )

According to my router I have an uptime of just under 2 days (-<30min), so 2 days ago now.
Just noticed I can get the data from speedtest.
15.02.2013 9:07 AM GMT 72.66 12.88 28
17.02.2013 6:55 PM GMT 26.78 9.48 164
17.02.2013 6:56 PM GMT 26.1 10.11 35
17.02.2013 7:01 PM GMT 74.68 7.75 80
So at 19:00 I reconnected and jumped to 74Mb from 26Mb down.
Blim
Grafter

today, Ive never seen it like this. My worse fears have happend  Cry
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
35.72 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 35.72 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
11.81 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.81Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first
Blim
Grafter

Something isnt right. I'm the only one useing it with just the test running.