cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raising a fault / disable firewall!

defiant
Grafter

raising a fault / disable firewall!

I dont like the auto fault reporting setup.  It asks you to check if you have a virus and suggests you have avg which i agree is good!.  I dont like the next part where it tells you to disable router firewall and system software firewall so the line can be monitored.  This is exposing the users network to attacks from viruses/hackers i would have thought. I  also cant imagine how its going to help diagnose or cure my current fault either.  I would love to know the idea behind this.

cheers defiant
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: raising a fault / disable firewall!

Interesting point about that.
I have a Netgear DG834G v4 and you can't disable the firewall
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
That step was added to the faults checker mainly to allow a whoosh test that's relevant to speed issues. Apart from this it is also so firewall's can be eliminated as a cause of the issue.
I appreciate what you are saying, I personally would not be happy having to lower my firewall for diagnostics.
We are reworking the fault checker at the moment so this will be changing and I would advise anyone who reads this and is concerned about lowering their firewall that they do not have to. If they don't and the test fails it will be flagged to our faults guys for manual testing instead.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why does the whoosh test fail if the router fire wall is not deactivated?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
defiant
Grafter

Thanks for explaining what its for adamwalker. Ive disabled my firewall so the testing can be done.  My problem is more to do with frequent drops rather than a pure speed issue. 

cheers defiant
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

jelv,
I'm not sure as to the precise reason why but I can try and find out for you if you like.
defiant,
No problem. I can see that the tests have now completed and that we've got a fault logged with BT. You should have an update on your ticket shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you could please Adam.
I could understand if you said you had to set the router to respond to pings, but can't think what it might be that needed the firewall disabling.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)