cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet pro 20GB limit

doookie

plusnet pro 20GB limit

Had a read at another thread regarding my problem.. And cant seem to get my head around it still. My line was activated yesterday evening and we are already at 1.25gb used!.. NO downloads just web/youtube and games (counter strike source) I turned all the steam updates for games off b4 my line was activated and made sure no other hidden updates were happening.. some people in the other thread said its way more than enough.. I would like to know how..Im guessing that most of the people that go for the PRO package (advertised for gamers) are real gamers.. And all I have done is game really.. used 1.25gb at a guess 6-7hours  (total game play) and using the web.. I bet the plusnet extra is not much difference to pro for gaming it will just be like any other dsl provider.. might put 20ping on my current 20.. but its no big deal..might have to look into that or sorting something else.. depends what they plan to do with PRO, if anything at all.
8 REPLIES 8
Alxns
Grafter

Re: plusnet pro 20GB limit

I personally think extra is better
60GB but you having traffic shaping
but not for gaming https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcone to the Forum Doiokie
Its more likely to be U tube that has used your Gb, not gaming
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Quote from: Alxns
I personally think extra is better
60GB but you having traffic shaping
but not for gaming https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_prioritisation.shtml

I switched from Pro because I found the 20GB limit far to limiting I'd end up barely using the net at the end of the month sometimes so I didnt cap out.
I moved to Extra and TBH I haven't noticed any difference except P2P is heavily capped between around 6 and 10pm but that wasn't a big deal for me everything else stayed the same and I saved money and got 3 x more bandwidth.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

I moved to another ISP to get the same speeds/latency with 150GB download for the same cost.  Cheesy
PRO = not traffic shaped - that's the only difference and pretty much what you get with most other suppliers normal packages.
doookie

How easy is the switch from pro to extra..  I have only just started with pro btw, so is it too soon? It may be the best option seen as tho I'm not  too bothered about download speeds + I will save a few quid..
Loon
Grafter

I switched to Extra a few months ago and mainly use the PC for gaming.
In CSS on a good UK server I normally ping in the high teens. BF2BC Pings in the 30's and I have played some very good playable games on US servers. So for game playing I have to say that I have no problems.
After a good multi hour session, even with my son using his xbox my daily usage is around 300Meg.
As I have been buying a fair few game packs from Steam in the recent months I have found the 60Gb limit a must. Even managed to go over 60Gb one month but managed to leave some of the downloads running overnight so my paid for usage was only 54Gb  :).
Not sure how the contract thingie works if you want to swap packages, but I am sure someone from PN Staff will be along shortly to fill the blanks.
Hope this was helpful
Rob
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: doookie
How easy is the switch from pro to extra..  I have only just started with pro btw, so is it too soon? It may be the best option seen as tho I'm not  too bothered about download speeds + I will save a few quid..

Hi there,
The switch is very easy, you just click on product change in the member centre and select your new product. The changeover won't happen until your next billing date though.
Loon
Grafter

See told you so  Grin Wink
Rob