cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone provider changed withour permission!

ncar

phone provider changed withour permission!

I had two emails in May/June to advise that a request had been made by another provider to move my services.  I had not requested this.  I telephoned plusnet twice and was told that this would not happen as I hadn't requested it.  We then went on holiday to discover on return that, yes, our phone line and broadband had been moved.  Phoned plusnet who did not seem very concerned about this and suggested that we "keep" the new number and just take out a new service for broadband etc with them! 
I however, explained that as this was not out fault and would cause us more hassle to change our telephone number with everyone we know that they get back our old number.  They arranged for an engineer to call ELEVEN days later to install a new line.  Guess what?  they didn't turn up.  After taking a day's leave after not long having two weeks off for holidays, I was not impressed.  Phoned again, they did not know why the engineer didn't turn up.
Chased again a few days later, to be told that the job had been done remotely!  Yes, it seemed that we now had a new line, but again it was a different number not our old one!
We are now on day 30 and it seems like I may well have to phone again....
23 REPLIES 23
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: phone provider changed withour permission!

Hi ncar,
Sorry to see the issues you've had with your phoneline.
I'm glad to see that you now have a working line but you state that it is the incorrect number, everything is showing as correct from our side.
If this is incorrect then we need to raise a fault and get an engineer to resolve this, this will not require access to your premises.
ncar

Your customer service department already know this is not the correct number. 
Ofcom have advised that you should have used the emergency restoration process. This should enable a service to be restored quickly according to them.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The line is now restored, but with it being on the incorrect number we've had to raise a fault.
An engineer has been tasked to resolve this on Wednesday 23rd July, as I mentioned it will not require access to your premises.
Please let us know how you get on.
ncar

thank you I will
flexo1966
Grafter

Happened to me as well. Swopped to plusnet waited in for a day, no one turned up, plusnet had no clue. Long story short they lost my number of over 20 years and have so far refused me any compensation on the days holiday i have taken. Number was later restored. Customer support should be done over the trades description act. Phone lines are a complete joke and need immediate attention. This company had a very good reputation but now has sadly let it slip.
ncar

I hope also i'm going to have a credit for my invoice for the period of 22/06/14 to 21/07/14 for broadband £16.99, since it is not working due to the number being changed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ncar,
I've taken a look at the engineer notes and it states that they have resolved the issue, is your number now correct?
ncar

Yes, had a call from the engineer at about 12.40 to say they needed access to the house, thought that this was being done remotely, but as I only work 5 minutes away and was able to leave that was ok.  Our number has now been restored.    Should the broadband come back on automatically or will something else need to be done?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

So the broadband has been knocked off your line due the aforementioned issues. I've managed to get a new order placed and this will complete tomorrow for you and you should be able to connect.
Let me know when you're online and then I'll get the rest the rest of this sorted for you around the time you've been without service.
ncar

Internet is now working!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris
Quote from: ncar

I telephoned plusnet twice and was told that this would not happen as I hadn't requested it.

Has anyone checked the recording(s) of this instruction for PN to block the transfer?  Slamming stories such as this have been rather too numerous of recent months on these forums.  Is their a need for PN to review their anti-slamming processes?  Does PN keep a watch on who is slamming their customers and report the same to Ofcom?
Whilst fundamentally the slamming third party is responsible for this shambles, the industry anti-slamming processes should have prevented this transfer / debacle.  If those processes were followed and the line was still slammed then PN need to make representations to Ofcom / BTOR so that the failed processes are rectified.
It would also seem that the staff who dealt with the consequences were not aware of the presence of the emergency restitution processes fir either this customer or the others who recently experienced deliberate or accidental line slams.  Is there a training need here?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning Kevin,
Slamming is indeed a tough subject to broach given the OFCOM regulations surrounding the process of an order to transfer a phone service away. We are required to inform all customers who have such an order placed which we do via email however we're not allowed to call the customer direct regarding this as it could be classed as an attempt to retain a customer who is legitimately looking to transfer the service to a new provider.
Given this, we can only hope that customer who are indeed being slammed will pick up the email notification and get in touch with us. Once they do this, we are well within our rights to cancel the transfer at the customers request however up until this point we're powerless to do anything more.
It seems in this instance, the customer wasn't aware of the latest attempt that completed as they mentioned they were away on holiday so I can agree that in an situation such as this, the process should be more robust to ensure that the line isn't slammed. Unfortunately for both the customer and ourselves, our hands are somewhat tied  Angry
Moving forward, with the introduction of the new SIM2 process we will no doubt see a lot more of this type of issue as it will cover both LLU and BT network customers for both phone and broadband but will leave us in the same boat across the board.
With regards to reporting this to OFCOM, we generally do this however action only tends to be taken en mass when a number of providers submit reports of slamming from a given source so we tend not to see much of punishment being issued to the offending company until a significant number of reports are lodged against them.
In an ideal world we would be allowed a non-retentions style call to each customer who transfers their services away so that we can check the legitimacy of the order on the fly and cancel this where the customer didn't request it, unfortunately this is unlikely given the regulations surrounding the process as well as being a bit of a killer where resource is concerned from an outbound call perspective.
From memory in my previous role, there is potential for an ISP of our size to have upwards of 3000 to 5000 transfer orders open at any given time, once we add in the SIM2 process we would look to have this increase significantly. God only know what this would look like within a large ISP such as BT but I can only imagine that it would sit within the multiple tens of thousands!
I foresee that the best way of dealing with this is to ensure that we have a robust automated system to deal with sending out the alerts to customers as soon as the order is logged in the system to allow plenty of time for it to be picked up and contact to be made to cancel if this isn't something that should be happening.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Adam,
Thank you for providing a detailed and comprehensive explanation, not just in respect of this individual's experience, but the wider context as well.
This user's experience does though point to some challenges with the process...
1. If the communication is via email, then it is essential that users maintain their preferred contact email address in the PN portal and regularly monitor that email address.  May be such emails should be sent with a read acknowledge, with the responses processed by the CRM system - idea for the new CRM system?
2. Whilst the 10 day transfer 'hold' period might be just enough to allow end to end cancelation of a slam, it is not long enough if someone is on a two week vacation... Whilst lengthening it is going to pee off those who do want to migrate.
3. A second attempt to slam (or was it another Sky human mistake?) within such a short period ought to have raised some concern... if there was some alert maker capable of being set on an account, indicating a recent transfer block request.  I recall a few weeks ago a user's line being transferred because Sky identified the wrong asset - clearly in such a situation having seen the transfer attempt fail, it will more than likely be resubmitted, no doubt with the same wrong information.
4. Could PN consider providing a separate "fast answer" (or even automated) contact number for slam transfer cancelations?  Thinking about this user's experience, if they had been monitoring their email whilst on holiday abroad, the last thing they need to be faced with is an international mobile phone call to the general support number and the inevitable wait.
Finally, you made no comment about PN staff's awareness of the emergency restitution processes to which the OP / Ofcom referred.  Looking elsewhere on the forums today, it seems to me that thus would me useful in other situations were lines have been cancelled in error - e.g. Horseygin.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

Out of curiosity, who was the telephone provider who was taking over your line ?