cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay bill early

rspcaben

pay bill early

Hi all,
I have emailed plusnet to ask if there could be a early payment option you see with 02 I used to phone a 0800 number and enter my card details via the keypad and get a receipt via text which was free which came in really handy now what I said to plusnet is if there could be a option like this were you would pay your bill early and if plusnet in return as a thank you for early payment thought they could reset the counter that way if you put a cap on your allowance and go over instead of waiting for the bill date and having slow broadband customers could pay early as the moneys already sat waiting and get there counter reset in return so yes lets put it to the vote  Smiley
Ben
5 REPLIES 5
David_W
Rising Star

Re: pay bill early

If I understand correctly, what you suggest is that if you're on Extra and after 2 weeks you use up the whole 60Gb allowance you can simply phone up PN and they will take payment for Extra and your month starts again?  So basically you'd be paying for 2 months worth of broadband in a month instead of the normal 1 month?  Unless you're a really heavy user and end up paying 4 months worth in a month!
On the face of it, it does seem a reasonable idea, PN would make a fortune, they only pay once for the line rental as it were so the 2nd payment would be just for your bandwidth only
The reason I think it's a bad idea, well not bad idea as such but, well, you know.  PN give unlimited overnight downloads so people can learn to manage their bandwidth effectively, schedule large downloads between midnight and 8am and use their peak hours for peak hour type stuff, if they could just add another 60Gb every time they went over their limit (ok, it is possible to add 60Gb extra onto Extra but it'll cost £60 I think) they wouldn't manage their allowance properly and that could have a detrimental effect on the network itself, well, assuming you'd be happy to pay however much Extra is, times 2 or 4, all, £11.49, so for £45ish a month you'd have 240Gb of allowance which is pretty cheap.
hadden
Grafter

I prefer to pay a fixed sum over a time period and accept that the deal includes data, as needed. For the same reason, I changed my phone package from line rental plus calls, to a calls inclusive package. So, I am comfortable with a similar model for both.
If PN extended the above alternative model, that could be a package that comprised a fixed ADSL access charge plus a variable data usage charge?
For that to work, I think the data metering should need to be quite tight. Is the PN system robust enough for that?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If I understand you correctly you are either
Pay an extra monthly payment and get 60GB extra allowance - that sounds like commercial suicide when compared to the normal charge of £60 for 60GB
Change your billing date by bringing it forward a couple of weeks and subsequent billing dates would be 1 month from that date until you did it again - there is no way that the Plusnet accounting system will be able to handle that
rspcaben

David W you kind of have the right idea as in "If I understand correctly, what you suggest is that if you're on Extra and after 2 weeks you use up the whole 60Gb allowance you can simply phone up PN and they will take payment for Extra and your month starts again?" The only thing I am not to keen on is you would be paying two months worth of broadband in a month. You see the way I had it.  Is if I go over my 10GB I have to wait for the 21st before my counter gets reset. Even tho my moneys been there for pn since the 8th. Now what I was thinking with this option would be I could phone up pn on the 9th they could take my money. So if I used up say 15GB instead of the internet going slow till the bill date the counter would be just reset to 0 on the day they take the early payment  as I dont know about everyone else but I find myself not wanting to do much incase the counter gets to high  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When you think you are going to exceed your limit and want to buy extra capacity just go to https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/ and change the maximum extra spend.
You can always reduce it to zero once the new billing month starts